Use of [RESOLVED] Question and others

I’ve noticed some problems which are solved are indicated with a [RESOLVE] in the subject line. I did a search for this but you might guess, all you get are pages and pages of [RESOLVED]. Since all of us members are not long time users of the forum. Where does the [RESOLVE] come from, the person who asked the question, or the person that has the solution? Or what is the protocol that calls for its use?

Maybe while I am asking. There are many many questions never answered by anyone (lets be clear, I am not pointing fingers). Why aren’t these ‘dead questions’ deleted? Reason for asking, is that when searching for help on a problem often these dead end questions come up in the search and don’t contribute to finding a solution.

Just thought of one more thing I often see. BUMP! What is that about?

Again, only questions from a ‘sort of new user’.

It should be the Originator of the thread. I am not aware of any specific protocol for the use of but it is nice to indicate that the initial problem was solved to the posters satisfaction and may indicate a thread that someone with a similar problem may want to review completely…

Generally unless it is a duplicate post the Moderators would not delete a post, and you never know someone may come along and post an answer at some point…

When someone is trying to get attention to a post they made, usually when they believe it is not getting the attention it deserves…

Those are my personal explanations and should not be considered an official explanation or being sanctioned by either Weather-Watch or WeatherDisplay… Or anyone else for that matter :wink:

-Bob

Many thanks Bob.
Ok on all. That is sort of what I figured, but wanted some verification to be sure.

I often put the word resolved (as often the originator of the thread does not) in the subject
just do that people can then skip past reading that post

personly If I see the word Bump I then actually ignore that thread
as personaly I believe people should not think they should be more deserving of my attention than others
but thats just me

Just for reference someone simply “Bumping” a thread can be seen a bit on the rude side by some and a post more along the lines of:

“Hey Brian or anyone else that possibly could help I am still experiencing this problem and really would appreciate any help”…

Would be far more appropriate…

It’s all about common courtesy which if everyone thought about before posting, especially if not happy or having gotten up on the wrong side…, would go a long way to making this Community more comfortable to all…

We are all human and at times everyone of us has probably said or typed something they later regretted and sometimes all that is needed is a deep breath and think how would you feel if what you are about to post was posted to you. That Button that says Preview is a very valuable tool :wink:

If on the other hand you really don’t care how someone takes your post or if it may offend them… then you simply don’t belong here…

Just my two cents which today are not worth much at all…

My 2