updating gauges...

It’s not going to help, the gauges are correctly displaying the data supplied to them, the problem lies with the zero figure in the customclientraw file. Either WD is producing that for some reason, or a spurious copy of the file is being picked up. I can only see a bit of the ccr file in the shots above - is the date and time correct in the copies with the zero value for rainfall rate?

Ok Mark. We are due rain tonight so i’ll show the whole file when i catch the dial at zero.
Cheers
Steve.

if you have a davis VP then you can set WD to use the console rain rate
do you have that set?

Ok. Spent 20 mins looking at the ssgauges rain rate tonight (nearly lost the will to live). Could not see the needle dropping so happy. Checked Wd and the rain rate had dropped to 0.006 in/hr. Immediately checked ssg and lo and behold the dial was reading 0. Possibly could be happening on a rain rate change?

Yes Brian i have enclosed a snippet of my wd setup and have always had that ticked.

Steve #-o

2016-01-06_20-50-25.jpg

2016-01-06_20-50-43.jpg

2016-01-06_20-55-15.jpg

customclientraw.txt_20160106205000.txt (1.56 KB)

I would say the problem is simply not enough decimal places for the custom tag %currentrainratehr%
(it only has 1 decimal place for mm and only 2 or inches)
the clue is you say it drops to zero when the rain rate is very low

I will add another decimal place in the next WD update

use a new .zip update of WD, ready now

Ok Brian thanks as always. Will give it a shot in the morning.
Steve

Your next problem is that the rain rate gauge only displays to 2 dp anyway - you could change the code, but it needs doing in a quite a few places.

However as I understood it, the VP2 can only generate a the rain rate to 2 dp anyway - the protocol says it sends the number of tips, so the minimum of 1 = 0.01 in/h with an imperial rain gauge. So where is the extra dp coming from?

Updated wd to the newest version but problem still there. Heavy rain last night and rate gauge still up and down.
Wondering is it something in my setup?
#-o #-o
Steve.

I am not seeing any fluctuations here at the moment with your rate gauge.
It was static at 0.09in/hr then it went up to 0.17in/hr and is staying like that as I watch.

Might be, Steve. Had 4 days of rain here this week and no problems at all with mine. Running WD 308, .10 gauges, and W7 Pro.

OK, I see it drop to 0, but the data being supplied had a rain rate of 0.0021, falling to 0.0016, which is zero to 2 dp!

I asked before but didn’t see an answer: How you are generating rainfall rates to a ten thousandth of an inch per hour when the Davis VP2 supplies a minimum rate value of 0.01? It sounds like meaningless ‘precision’ to me?

Brian had made a change Mark - http://discourse.weather-watch.com/t/61297

Yes, but my question still stands, if the raw data supplied by a VP is only to 2dp, where is this extra precision coming from?

As far as I can see the gauges are working fine, they report down to 0.01 in/h, anything below that is displayed as zero.

One for Brian to answer Mark, certainly if you look at post #23 in this thread the screen shots from Steve show WD main screen displaying 3 dp for rain rate in inches). My rain rate in mm has always shown to 2 dp on WD main screen. Currently 0.65mm/hr even though rain totals are only 1 dp so there is extra precision coming from rain rate calculations in WD.

is the problem only occuring for those using the davis console rain rate?

Ok Brian. Have unticked use Davis Vp2 rain rate and saved it. Will monitor ssg rain rate.

Cheers.
Steve

has increasing the number of decimal places helped?

The ssg rain rate gauge was still going back to 0 when it was still raining.
waiting for decent rain now that ive unticked use Davis console rain rate.

Steve

Jumping in with my opinion here…

Since clientraw.txt’s rain rate is always current, isn’t this an issue with WD’s processing of customclientrawlocal.txt into customclientraw.txt? The SSG AJAX updates of all other parameters are always spot on, so I think that somehow WD ‘forgets’ the current rain rate when it creates customclientraw.txt. When the rain rate actually changes, WD again reports this new rain rate but WD promptly ‘forgets’ this new rate as well so the rain rate drops back to zero until the next change in rain rate. The SS Gauges only report the data they’re given.

I’ve noticed this problem with customclientraw.txt since I first installed the SSG, Brian.