Universal Interface

I imagine that the WD interfaces to the various weather stations must at some point reformat the data to a common format for the calculation/display program. How about a universal interface option that would read either a disk file, or serial port in a defined format? This would potentially expand the user base to those techie types who build their own station hardware but don’t have the talent or time to do the calculation and graphics part.

Steve

you can create a log file (text based) in a certain format, yes, that wd can read in…the US navy log file format is a good option, and already set up in WD (for updating each minute)
or you could very easily use the file format I use myself for own home built weather station…you just need a file called meuse.txt :slight_smile:
(WD reads it in every second)

I will post back here what needs to go into that file…

Cool, that’s just what I was thinking of…

I don’t know how you do it all. Sometimes I think you must have a rich internet fantasy life and in reality there are no cows, no kids, you just live in a cave working on WD 24 by 7 :slight_smile:

http://www.ext.vt.edu/resources/4h/virtualfarm/main.html

Tom

every now and then i come out of the computer room and the kids go:
“mum, there is a strange man in our house, he is all whiskery and has bad BO!”
lol

i just want WD to be the best it can
Its been called weather dismay by the opposition software, I have been called a joke by the opposition software…so i am trying to get it as best I can…thats all.

Brian,
This business of the “neuse.txt” file sounds like a good candidate for the “weather station selection” page of Help. It would just be one of those cases that need special instructions.

Would it be easy to add a new entry to the station types list in WD called “personal design” or some such? That entry could put an appropriate name on the top of the WD display, and read the meuse file for its data.

Fred

i will add a universal file import to the station list that uses the format i use (just your basic weather data )

what a tragic waste of experinced and highly trained personel on the space shuttle
its a risky business though!
interesting about the wind episode on take off…

i will add a universal file import to the station list that uses the format i use (just your basic weather data )

what a tragic waste of experinced and highly trained personel on the space shuttle
its a risky business though!
interesting about the wind episode on take off…

raining debri by the look of it:

i finally finished add the universal interface as the weather station type
vers 9.70c
see the file universal.txt in the download for details

Oh cool :smiley:

I chose universal as the ws type and pointed it to the correct directory, but it’s not reading the file. How often should it update / is there something else I need to set up?

Steve

i have added instrucitons to the download…
universal.txt
but!
you need to have a file called
datain38.ini

(i had the name wrong in the universal.txt)
sorry about that!

every now and then i come out of the computer room and the kids go: "mum, there is a strange man in our house, he is all whiskery and has bad BO!" lol

i just want WD to be the best it can
Its been called weather dismay by the opposition software, I have been called a joke by the opposition software…so i am trying to get it as best I can…thats all.

Well, they’re full of sh*t as far as I’m concerned. You know me by now Brian. I’ve worked as a video engineer and special effects artist for several big-time software companies over the years (for anybody who’s interested in my curriculum vitae, click here: http://www.mobygames.com/game/credits/gameId,1164/ and here: http://www.mobygames.com/game/credits/gameId,118/ and here: http://www.aipictures.com/Coinfo/Resumes/robres.html you’re looking for the name Rob Koeppel)

As a software developer, you put more talent, sweat, and care into your program than any other programmer I’ve EVER KNOWN! And I know hundreds of programmers, some of America’s highest paid as well. Do you know how long it takes to get minor changes through committee, approved by the design team, approved by the producer, tested by QA, and then applied to a product in development? Freakin weeks! With you its, “ok, I’m uploading the change you asked for 10 minutes ago.”

That’s why I insist on purchasing a new licence every year. I HAVE to support hard work and dedication like yours. It’s so darn rare, an endangered species! Yes, I’m as guilty as anyone else for the occasional rant when I mistake operator error for program deficiency, but that’s another reason I re-register every year. :slight_smile:

Please keep up the good work. And remember, as the late Barry Goldwater said, “Noli Permittere Illegitimi Carborundum.” Don’t let the bastards grind you down.

Brian,

Some kinda flashback to the 386 era huh?

I changed the file name and played around with the values, this is fun!

Seems to work except gust speed, and daily rain. Gust speed affects maximum average but doesn’t show in max gust last hour, or maybe this needs a while to update? The daily rain doesn’t show anywhere in rain.

Any chance of adding the inside temp and rh while you are on a roll?

Steve

yeah, i use it myself, from my 386 DOS pc (which runs my DOS WIND program)
i will check what i have done wrong with the gust
adding other stuff:ok…
sooon…
what are you using to create/update this file?

I have 2 things in mind. a) a WD exerciser so that I can develop and test a website on a PC here for my remote VP/WD station. I’d like to be able to take working code there and just install it, not have to watch it not work for a couple of weeks until I can get there again to fix it. It’s dial up so remote admin is not an option. b) I have all kinds of stuff I accumulated towards building my own weather station and got as far as having it put HTML tables on the web. I’d like to revive that project as a local station and have it feed WD. In either case I’ll just be generating the file in compiled Basic, VB or C depending how much I want to suffer programming it.

Just curious, why don’t you use remote control through dial-up? I have a place that only uses dial-up and I quite successfully use PCAnywhere to remotely control. It’s slow, but works well. I know others that use VNC which is available for free and are happy with it.

i am uploading a new vers now with indoor temp and indoor hum on the end of the universal file

Brian, Thanks I’ll try it when I get back home.

Re: Remote by dial up, that’s a thought. It’s the most miserable phone line, 20K ish at best - do you think it would be worth anything? I need the answering machine to pick up there, but now I think about it I might be able to use some X10 to allow the modem to pick up at certain times of day, is the modem the only thing on your phone line? It’s a reasonably secure modem/router set up and I’m reluctant to compromise that, the last thing I need is a PC 5 hours from home doing nasty things. How do you handle security?

What I really need to do is persuade my wife that we should blow $100/mo on always on 144K ISDL (not ADSL), the only “high” speed option there, then I would really be in business.

I use PCAnywhere and I believe it’s secure enough. I run a firewall as well and have never had a problem. I have a phone and the modem on the line, but during the winter the phone isn’t used much. I use DNS2Go to handle the dialing schedule. I know when it’s online and then use PCAnywhere to attach. My line runs at a max of about 26k, and I can work pretty effectively (once you get used to the lag).

My place is only about 2 hours away…but I have found that PCA has helped me avoid the long trips. Have a look at VNC if you don’t have a license for PCA. VNC is free, and others prefer it over PCA for remote control. http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/index.html

I wouldn’t hesitate trying the remote through dialup. I have become quite accustomed to it.