THSW addition?

Having THSW (for those of us with a solar sensor) displayed on the summary page would be a very nice addition. Perhaps it could be added in place of the solar percentage display or in place of the wind chill display, if room was not available elsewhere on the page, as the THSW is far more valuable than either of those during the hot summer months here. (It might be time to make the summary page a little taller so that more of the things that have been asked for and added over time would be able to fit better…)

Thanks!
Tom

we had tried to find the formula to calculate THSW and that was the concern if it could be figured out in a formula that Brian could use.

We had the Steadman literature, but the exact solution, Davis isn’t ready to part with.

If you have the formula, let Brian know. Right now he has apparent temperature .

I don’t have the forumla but it appears that the THSW is output by the VP console, at least in the B version, so perhaps he can just pick up the number from there and not have to compute it.

we had tried to find the formula to calculate THSW and that was the concern if it could be figured out in a formula that Brian could use.

We had the Steadman literature, but the exact solution, Davis isn’t ready to part with.

If you have the formula, let Brian know. Right now he has apparent temperature .

I now have in my hand the Davis formula and extensive backup information on how to calculate the THSW index. It’s four pages long in fax format so there is no practical way to upload it here, but if there is a fax number for Brain, I’d be happy to send it over to him. (I beleive he is unavailable for the next four days or so…)

Tom

Right now he does not have a Davis unit on hand, but the formula would be great .

It’s a generic formula - not specifc to the Davis - so it should be applicable to just about anything…

By the way, I got an interesting replay from Davis to my query of the apparent intuitive problem with the HI indicated on the Vantage Pro console versus the NWS formula. Here is their reply:

Hello Tom,

This is from our meteorologist.

According to the formula he references, the formula yields a heat index of 76
F for the combination of temperature and humidity he uses as an example. It
is my understanding that this formula is the result of running a best-fit
non-linear regression of the Steadman formula. For whatever reason, they
chose not to use the lookup table for the purposes of this model run.

In some cases, Heat Index values are not reported when the value is below 80
F. Some tables only show temperature values down to 80 F. It could be that
this formula was not designed to optimally represent the table below
temperatures of 80 F.

A detailed analysis will reveal that there are several locations on the
Steadman chart where the values in the chart match the formula cited.

Right now he does not have a Davis unit on hand, but the formula would be great .