Strange things happening

Brian,
Running 9.50b I’ve noticed something strange. Every now and then, most recent 07:30:00 WD starts doing something…my hard drive runs continuous, WD stops updating, and WD’s clock stops. This lasts for about five minutes then the hard drive stops, WD resumes. During this, my system clock continues normally. Immediately after this last instance…after because WD doesn’t respond during… free memory was down to around 1 meg with 133 on board. I clicked free now and it went back up to 90 megs. It’s also on auto.

I have been having ocassional instances of the dialup FTP hanging, doesn’t seem like it can load, gets a Windows error and crashes with no more uploads until cleared. If the above happened during a scheduled upload, could that be the cause?
Jim

Brian,

I’m not sure if this is relevent to Jim’s report but I am also having concerns over memory usage and process times for WD procedures. Today my memory use went to below 0.3MB this was not enough for the FTP routine to run. I have also noted that around 0.5MB of memory space even the free memory routine has great difficulty operating. My machine has 256MB of RAM and after freeing the memory I can get up to 220MB free, although normally it is between 160MB and 190MB. Is this now a the dreaded memory leakage problem returning?

Bob

Brian,

I’m not sure if this is relevent to Jim’s report but I am also having concerns over memory usage and process times for WD procedures. Today my memory use went to below 0.3MB this was not enough for the FTP routine to run. I have also noted that around 0.5MB of memory space even the free memory routine has great difficulty operating. My machine has 256MB of RAM and after freeing the memory I can get up to 220MB free, although normally it is between 160MB and 190MB. Is this now a the dreaded memory leakage problem returning?

Bob

Hello,

Is it normal that WD is using so much Ram (nearly 56Mb / 512MbRam)???

:?: :?:

WD is using 25 megs on my W2K; less on XP Pro

Tom

Brian,
I’ve gone back to 9.49 and it’s doing the same thing. I have less than .5 megs of free memory left and WD is trying to wear out my hard drive, on the half hour, appears to be once per hour.
Jim

Jim, It might be a good idea to let brian know what operating system and processor you’re running…

Bob

I believe he knows, he’s been working on another problem, but it’s Win98 on a PII 400 with 133 megs. Only other thing running is seti@home and when I stopped it, no change.
Jim

jim, clear all the real time graphs…(i.e view each graph, and then click on clear records :slight_smile:

or. exit wd
and
delete graphdata.inf, graphdata2.inf, graphdata3.inf, graphdata4.inf (if you have them) from the datafiles folder

version around 9.50 had problems with the graphdata2.inf file getting very large and this consumed lots of memory and took lots of time to save it

that is not happening in versions since then, so use 9.53

Brian,

I don’t run any real time graphs. No animation either, just trying to keep it clean and simple. WDlite, if you will :lol:

After backing up to 9.49, the problem may have slacked off some. I just checked free memory and I had about 15 megs. I haven’t been able to sit and watch…working.

Jim

i actualy have the real time graphs on by default
but you can have them clear auto 3 days (see that option on the lower part of the real time graph)
check the size of those files i mentioned
they should be only 150k or less

Brian,

This is getting interesting by the hour. First, graphdata.inf and graphdata2.inf are the only two there, they’re both 0 bytes. Just in case, I clicked clear records and clear records every 3 days.

I just uploaded and started the current version. When I shut down 9.49 to install the new one, it took about five minutes of hard drive time and finally shut down after a flood of errors, run time, exception, illegal, etc. I forgot to mention that before, it takes a long time to boot and shut down with something updating on the hard drive the whole time.

9.53 is running now with 16 megs of free memory, if that means anything.

I have an early launch so gotta turn in.

Jim

something is screwy
it should shut down way quicker than that!