Restart Delay?

Brian,

My laptop cpu came only with 2 USB ports. Of course my Van-Pro came with serial connections! I have (since I got it) installed a PDA compatible interface to go from UBS to Serial. Now my question, can a delay of approx. 25 seconds be built into the restart function? I need this because the PDA interface retains info in itself for about 20 seconds and will not reboot unless I shut down the CPU for about 25 seconds and them turn it on manually! I sure would like it if I could reboot automatically!

Is there a better interface that I can buy that won’t have this problem?

I have a slot for a PC card I believe, can that be used?

Ed Bradley
Alligaor Point, FL
[/url]

Hi
you can get a pci to serial card , yes…
at what point did you need the delay?
after the program first starts?

Brian,

[at what point did you need the delay?]

Somewhere in some program sometime in the last 5 years, I had one where you could schedule a Restart of ones CPU. The purpose was to restart the CPU once a day so as to refresh Windows95 so it would run better and therefore stay up longer when you were trying to run it 24/7.

You have a deal whereby one can refresh your program to increase/remove (free-up) the memory.

I’d like to have something whereby I can Restart with that delay built-in to accommodate that USB/serial interface that I have. Without a delay, Windows just shuts down and immediately starts again when you " Restart".

Ed

Hi
the reboot function is still there, which completly reboots the PC, under asetup, ftp setup, reboot/report
maybe you can use that?

Brian,

That’s the one that reboots without a delay that I need!
It Shuts down and starts up immediately. I need a 25 second delay between them!

Ed

hi
i am not sure of the solution here at the moment, expect for a ac power outlet timer …?

Brian,
Glad you are still thinking on the problem!

I have three problems with using a power interrupt: 1.  Shutting the CPU down like that will not save WD's info,  2.  I don't know if the CPU will reboot when the power comes on again, 3.  I'll have to remove the battery pack from the laptop and then if we have a power outage for sure, it won't keep on running.

I've been looking into who supplies the Restart.exe program in XP and have not come up with any answers.  I think that inside that program there could be a timer that tells the program when to re-boot.  If so, there is the answer.

Best regards,

Ed

wd saved data every minute, every 10 minutes, and every 30 minutes…

if you connect to a ups, and the ups has a usb connection, then the ups can tell windows to shut down gracefully (once the ups has run out of power), then have the wall ac timer turn the power on again…
that might work

Brian,

I went through a lot of grief to get such a system to work. The UPS has to shut the PC down via usb with some power still left. This means there is a period when the PC is shut down, but is still getting AC power from the UPS (unless it’s a real fancy UPS that shuts down the power too). I doubt any simple timer solution will work.

Ed,

Maybe you could explain again why you want to reboot? If it’s just to free memory then look into memturbo which will do the job (but whatever you do don’t allow them to put you on their cheesy spam list).

Stephen

Stephen,

My laptop cpu came only with 2 USB ports. Of course my Davis Van-Pro came with a serial connection! I have (since I got it) installed a PDA compatible interface to go from UBS to Serial. Now my question, can a delay of approx. 25 seconds be built into the restart function? I need this because the PDA interface retains memory when shutdown for about 20 seconds and will not reboot properly unless I shut down the CPU for about 25 seconds and them turn it on manually! I sure would like it if I could reboot automatically!  If I shut it down and boot it back up before the PDA drops its memory, the PdA comes back up but will not let the data come through the Com Port!  

Ed

I understand you want to reboot it, what I’m trying to understand is why you want to reboot it frequently/often/regularly?

I guess its a habit acquired through using any Windows after 3.1! They were so unstable after just 24hrs. that many programs offered restart programs as an integral part of their software. I haven’t found XP to be that much better. It may run 24-48 hrs steady, but after that the OS slows down considerably and ordinarily fast programs start to fall apart! That is when I shut dfown and start over! Maybe, I need to get XP Pro or whatever the newest Windows stuff is, but I’m not a big fan of Bill Gates and his products!

Ed

you should get a good week at least at the minimum out of a windows pc, lots of people with windows 2000 have it run for a month before rebooting, or longer
how much memory do you have>
keep track of you memory use with task manager
maybe there is a program with a memory leak (hopefully not wd)
i recommend windows 2000

Ah, now I understand. I took a vow to stop saying bad things about XP in this forum so I can’t comment further, but I have some ideas that I will look into.

Well Folks!
Here’s the solution to my problem! Money! I did go out and buy a card to use in my “PMCIA”? slot that has two USB ports! Then I had to get a USB/Serial port Adapter. So for about 125 dollars US, I can now restart my Laptop to my hearts content. Plus, I now have two open ports ( a total of four) for my webcam and some other goodie!

Thanks for the help and suggestions!

Best regards,

Ed Bradley

good for you
you only live once I say!