Remote Control Of PC's For Troubleshooting/SW Development

Brian - Ever think of using a remote control package like VNC (http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/ ) for troubleshooting problems, or testing code for stations that you don’t currently have in inventory? (Of course a hole would have to be punched through the firewalls at both ends to make it work, but it shouldn’t be too hard to figure out what ports to open.)

Price seems to fall within most of our budgets :lol: (hate to see that full growth of hair go away prematurely) .

Another free alternative is Netmeeting. Thats what I’m using right now to access my home pc. Plus its a ton easier to set up (fewer options to have to figure out). The biggest plus, it is already installed on almost every windows pc.

For all interested, sounds like we have a VNC expert in the house :smiley: !!!

I’m no expert on security issues, but I work with a security conscious organization. I was at a meeting with the server group when a vendor suggested using net meeting for remote admin, the answer was a very resounding no, apparently due to security concerns. Obviously if it’s just a personal weather station then it’s not a big deal, but something to bear in mind when looking at any of these packages.

Steve

You would only load it when necessary. If someone needed in, they would call or email you, you start it up, give them your IP address, a userid, and password, and let them in. When they are finished, shut it down, and unload it.

I used VNC for years but now have gone over to Tight VNC www.tightvnc.com. As I like to access my remote PC’s via a web browser, VNC only used 16 colours. TightVNC uses 256.

The good thing is that it is compatible with VNC.

Rupp - I personally think VNC is easier. Just load the VNC server on the remote PC. Add your password and thats it. You then type http://your machine name or ip address:5800/ in your browser and off you go! You can if you wish load the VNC viewer and view your remote PC that way.

Jon :roll: :roll:

hi
i have used pcanywhere to check up on someones version of wd on a remote location to see some settings etc
real funny doing that!
worked great even with a 33k modem!

Hi All,
I would like to know how to do a remote boot of my remote laptop pc (IBM ThinkPad 390, Win 98SE). It seems to get hung up within a 2 to 3 days after I leave it. It is 4.5 hours each way to the remote site. To far to just jump in the motorcar and go reboot it. Anyone have any ideas? I am considering opening up the laptop and rigging a relay to a X10 system to reboot the machine. The machine seems to be hung on a different application most times. FTPUpd, Weather Display, scandisk, restart. I think any problems with FTPUpd and WD have been resolved. The machine won’t fail while I am watching it. I think it won’t fail then because I use the machine while I am at the remote site. :frowning:
I would appreciate any suggestions.
TIA

I plan on using an X-10 telephone transponder - $25 bucks or so. But you can get dedicateddevices for three times that like http://www.cpscom.com/reboot.htm
Tom

hi capt

windows 2000 might be a good option instead of win98SE

its almost unbreakable!

If you rebooted it once a day, would that keep it from hanging? If so, I believe I’ve seen a program called Reboot.exe somewhere, that, when run, will cause the PC to do a warm boot. Put it in the Windows scheduler, and have it reboot at a certain time of the day.

reboot32.exe comes with WD,and you can get wd to reboot the pc (and select the days to do it too)
but if it hangs on a reboot…

Maybe by rebooting it once a day, it will prevent the PC from hanging after 2-3 days. You’ve got nothing to lose since it’s already hanging, and, if it doesn’t work - time to come up with a different game plan, I guess.

reboot32.exe comes with WD,and you can get wd to reboot the pc (and select the days to do it too) but if it hangs on a reboot...
The last time the computer quit was at the WD scheduled reboot (once each day). But, on a reboot many things happen. Also, Windows 98SE may "Hang" on "Shutdown". According to Microsoft, my hardware may not work with Win 2000. Also the price of Win 2000 is high. TIA

I have the same remote situation, my 98SE has been up since before Christmas (sound of knocking on wood). I think you need to know why it’s crashing but in any case I would suggest;

Put the custom tag for memory on your webpage.
Try WD memory recovery or consider installing Memturbo if you see memory leaking away.
Use either WD or some other daily reboot.
Disable chkdsk (there’s a link to instructions in another thread on the rebooting).
If your laptop will restart on power up, consider using a combination of timer/X10 and a UPS to cleanly take it down and up once a day. If it won’t restart on power up then get out your soldering iron, which is what I had to do.

If FTP is what’s hanging it up, see if you can use the command line FTP in a batch instead of FTPUPD. Nothing against FTPUPD, just that in my personal experience and unusual set up this has proven to be a very robust solution, YMMV.

Steve

…and check out the MS Knowledgebase about the W98 “hang on shut down” issue. This is a known problem with networked W98.

S

do you have a USB serial port adapter in use? some one reports a problem with that (on a lap top) problems stopped as soon as changed to normal com port
Very interesting. A USB serial port adapter is what I am using. I will change over to the com port next trip.
If it won't restart on power up then get out your soldering iron, which is what I had to do.
I will get out my soldering iron also.

Thank all for the help. :smiley:

Put the custom tag for memory on your webpage. Try WD memory recovery or consider installing Memturbo if you see memory leaking away.

Nikosheperd/Stephe,

Whats that costum tag for memory on my webpage ?

Is memturbo usable in combination with other mem managers ?
Got RAM idle here; it gives me good information about mem use but still have regular crashes…

WinME

Hello,

There is also a very nice freeware RAMBOOSTER at http://www.sci.fi/~borg/rambooster/index.htm
It is the one I’m using…

have a nice day

[ Nikosheperd/Stephe,

Whats that costum tag for memory on my webpage ?

Is memturbo usable in combination with other mem managers ?
Got RAM idle here; it gives me good information about mem use but still have regular crashes…

WinME

Ed, it’s;

%freememory%

Brian added it on Jan 12th but I’m not sure what version that would correspond to.

After seeing my RAM almost gone (see the “how much memory do you really need” thread) I added memturbo to my WD machine at the weekend. I set it for auto recovery up to 25M when RAM is down to 5M. The PC is a “found in the garage” P2, with 80M of assorted memory, W98SE, and only runs WD, zone alarm, and TCP/IP. I killed all the power management, screen savers, etc. It’s remotely located and hasn’t been rebooted for weeks. Memturbo seems to be working fine, I like the continual free ram display in the system tray. As Brian commented I’m not sure how critical free physical RAM really is, I suspect that so long as there is virtual memory available (that PC shows around 500M) you are OK at the expense of some disk thrashing.

Steve