Rain averages, wind lulls/averages

Just started using the trial version of Weather Display to see if it suits my needs - does for nearly all, but there seem to be a few idiosyncrasies I can’t sort out in the setup settings.
I have 30 years of manual rainfall records, and therefore have valid averages. However, I cannot find anywhere to enter these [only something about internet], so that they appear as part of the rainfall charts. Current averages are naturally the same as the monthly totals because there is no historical data, and even in the next year, these averages will be nowhere near correct.
Wind lulls are shown as a line between positive readings - in one case I have two hours of supposed 3 knot winds, when there was none. This naturally throws the average out a long way. Should the graph not go back to zero for lulls?

I suspect you could create log files containing your historic data but I’m not sure what effect that would have on the other missing data, e.g. I’m not sure what the effect would be of having 30 years of zero temperatures and 0% humidity.

Wind speeds should go to zero and stay there until there’s some wind again. What station type are you using?

Yes. What you describe often happens when the weather station signal is lost, so WD just graphs what is in memory. I’m having problems with my signal:

If the station actually reports zero the graph will show zero.

WS1081 V3 Tesa Pro Weather Station, which I believe is basically the same as the Fine Offset WH1081, but am still awaiting confirmation so as to make sure I have the correct station selected in set-up.
WD has a page where one can enter historical extremes, just thought there may be something similar for averages. Being rather tech challenged, intricacies like creating log files and such is probably beyond me Can’t even find the daily .csv files I have asked WD to create.
Can’t find how to attach a file here to show this, but the WS is currently recording all history at 15 minute intervals [through Easyweather], which includes continuous zero wind readings up to 1.5 hours in the last two days since I started WD. Actual readings on the station are at 40 seconds.
If someone could tell me how to attach a .png file, it would be appreciated - that way I can supply more info.

Logfiles and .csv files usually in …\wdisplay\logfiles

While composing a post use the “Upload” button to include a file:

Geez, whatever happened to the old, easy to interpret “Attach File” idea?
Got an eye infection at the moment, so blurry vision is making that upload button look like the thing you click on to see your profile.
I use Libre Office [free/donation], rather than MS Office/365 - can’t afford the yearly fee, too much rubbish comes with it, and not enough functionality in the free version.
Daily .csv log sheets created in Libre through EasyWeather come out with normal columns and rows, but when created through WD, I get the following:-

The problem is likely with Libre, but could someone attach a copy of a daily log sheet so that I can try to find out what is going on?

Sorry, attached the wrong item. but I guess this is one way to get around my new user single attachment limit.
That was the EasyWeather .csv file, WD file attached below

I must confess I don’t know how to set up a daily log file. Here are a few lines from standard monthly logfile 22020lgcsv.csv for February 2020:

Looks the same as the EasyWeather .csv file. That is what should come up when I try to open the .csv file with Libre, but all I get is Chinese characters in one cell. Is it a .csv file?
Daily log file:- set-up - log files - main log settings -create daily date stamped copy.
However, this file [opens with Notepad] is created in .txt format, which is probably [?] where data for historical graphs is gathered from.
However, I also have a “Daiylog10min” .txt but that covers a few days, also opens with Notepad, but at least the columns are more in line.

Just drag and drop the file into the compose window. That will upload it and put the relevant link into the message.

Yeah, the opening tip in this reply box mentions “drag or paste” but I missed that because it disappears as soon as I start typing. Copy and paste now works best for me.
So I have created a daily log file, but it just rolls over at midnight, and is not saved as a separate entity, so that is not helpful.
The Dailylog10min file is not daily, it is an all time record.
Have some more questions about these and other log files, but don’t really know if this forum is the correct place for these, or if I should contact Brian.

There are a fair number of people here who know WD pretty well so you can try asking here and if nobody knows the answer then try contacting Brian.

I am somewhat tech-challenged so please be patient with my questions. Got to do web searches to find out what a lot of the terms used here mean! Have been through a bit of archived stuff so far to look for answers, but nothing exact found. Will leave the logfiles for a bit whilst I search some more.
Apparent temperature. This to me is more relevant than heat index, especially if involved in outdoor work. I have it displayed on the main screen but that wording does not appear in any graph set-up options.
In Solar/UV/misc we have Plot THWS, which does give me a graph line. However, my WS does not have any solar sensor, though for some reason my main screen was showing some sunlight/ET figures [0.12hrs and 1.2mmET] on 22/3, the first day I used the program. No sun since, just cloud and drizzle!
So how do apparent temperature and THWS relate to each other without any solar sensor? Apparent temperature is still a valid meteorological value after dark, based on THW, so does this mean that THWS without any S supplied is just the basic apparent temperature?
What is ET anyway? Have not been able to find a direct reference to it on the internet.

I agree, but not sure if you can graph it.

Maybe go to Control Panel > Solar Sensor and check the main switch is off?

Evaporotranspiration.

I might not have been real clear before - my weather station does not have any solar sensor, so the switch should have no impact on anything. The only solar thing on the remote sensor is a tiny battery back-up panel. Bad blue on my part I know, misread the specs before purchase.
Since starting to plot THWS this morning, it has been between 1 and 3 degrees C below apparent temperature. Don’t know what variations will show up in the future but for now the weather has been stagnant for a week.
If WD is doing calculations for both THWS and Ap. Temp., and can plot THWS, surely an Ap. Temp plot should be possible? This has been mentioned in archived posts back to the early 2000’s in “Suggestions”.

I don’t have solar either but I have UV, and I have to have the switch on to see UV in my client display. It also makes a difference to what is shown in Current Conditions on the main screen. Do you get a box for ET, for example?

I didn’t think you could calculate THSW without solar. . . maybe WD can use estimated solar. Hope someone else can clarify this. . . :confused:

No solar, no UV. Needed a battery powered, PC connected weather station - Wi-Fi not suitable due to cloud drop-out problems with satellite internet and frequent blackouts, and the TESA was all I could afford in that category.
Switching solar on gives me the solar and ET displays, but naturally no UV. I guess a very close approximation of ET can be calculated using THW, which is probably why I am getting some readings there. Unfortunately, this does not seem to get recorded in the log files. Be interesting to see this in yearly comparative graphs - pretty scary seeing my dam level dropping by nearly a couple of metres during an El Nino year.
As per a previous post, solar display showed 0.12 hours [decimal or minutes?], of sunlight around 2pm on 22/3. No sunlight % shown, but with 12hrs of sunlight available that near equinox day, 12 minutes should have shown around 3%, or 0.12hrs should have shown around 2% No sunlight since, so I can’t report on further values, if any.

Back on the subject of apparent temp v THSW, be good if someone with a solar sensor could enable app. temp. on their display and THSW on the graph, and do a spot comparison . Be easier to do with an app. temp. graph, but as stated previously, this does not plot.

Not much luck getting replies to the above. Oh well, try another couple of questions.
Attached snip taken at 0641 today - both readings within the “last hour” at that time, but are different. How does this work?

Wind scale currently set at “0” [unlimited], graph and dial showing 25 knots. Does this mean that once the wind strength gets up near the top of the scale it will be automatically changed to accommodate the higher readings?
Wind dial was equal sized intervals at the current scale, but they represent different values - 2 and 3 knots. Why?

Sorry, maybe not many people interested. You could ask the author?

They are at different times so WD has missed scoring one as max. It’s not perfect.

But I am puzzled by a couple of things:

1. You have wind in knots and windrun in km. How come?
  2. WD converts incoming wind data from the station to knots, and then regurgitates everything in your chosen units (even if they are the same as the station) using integer knots. So I am puzzled that you can get 7 and 7.2 knots displayed: maybe it doesn’t apply to knots. . . :confused:

Yes, I think so. But there may be a setting for autoscale somewhere. . .

The intervals are rounded to integers. The designer obviously thought that customers would not like 0, 2.5, 5, 7.5, 10, . . .

Just change max scale to 50 if it offends you.

You might also like to ask the author why all the graph axes have 4 ticks for 2, 5 or 10 units. . .