PWS_Dashboard December release Q&A discussion

Hi Wim

Thanks for your prompt answer. As far as I know you can’t map sensors in Cumulus MX as you can with MB.

I’ll investigate further about the solution you mention.

Gert

Hello Wim,

Running the new Beta version here, https://southernctwx.com/bfd/ I am having graph issues. THe temps, winds etc for the day are way to low.

Thanks.

I have the July issue running on my server. I’ve downloaded the December 2019 zip file, and unzipped it locally.

How do I update the code running on the server without having to go through all the setup?

Do I unzip it on my server (assuming I can)?

Do I have to drop the entire local unzip onto the server directory? Will that keep all my individual settings?

I did move the whole new unzipped package to a new directory on my server, and it then asks me to start the initial setup all over again. Is there a single config file that I could move from the functioning pws folder on my server into the new folder that I put the December version into, and have it be the newest code with an old setup to save all that work?

Dale

Here is my fresh installation of the December release:

http://www.meteothes.gr/pwsWD/

It wasn’t hard to replace the July release, which was running so far! I also started running cron jobs for the diagrams from my web server instead of getting data from WU.

Is there any script to import data from past years? My weather station is online since 2005 running WD.

I’m also working on a new, more accurate Greek language translation.

Thank you Wim, for the hard work on this template!

Thanos

The "chartsmydata/2019.txt " files are now stored in default units.
In the past in “weather-program-units” from within the upload-file, which resulted in all kind of problems when switching upload or program.
In your case, the weather-display WDapi uses metric, so the units in the graphs-files are in metric and not recalculated to your “imperial” units as was done in the past.

If you are uploading to WeatherUnderground, please switch to WU for the graphs also.
The new “main-in-the-middle” scripts work flawless.
And when using WU we will have more possibilities as the text files for new scripts and new graphs.

If not using WU, we have to do a one-time conversion.
I am testing the conversion program again today, and will use your history files as a test-sample also.

Attached the 2019.txt with the new correct imperial unit-values. Unzip, rename and replace the current 2019.txt

Wim

cltraw2019.txt.zip (4.9 KB)

Thanks for using the PWS_dashboard. Could you please always post the link to the website? Makes answering questions a lot easier.

I’ve downloaded the December 2019 zip file, and unzipped it locally.
How do I update the code running on the server without having to go through all the setup?
The easiest way is to upload the new version to the root of your site and use temporarily a new name for the folder. July folder pwsWD/ then the december folder pwsWD12/
Do I unzip it on my server (assuming I can)?
Do I have to drop the entire local unzip onto the server directory? Will that keep all my individual settings?
I did move the whole new unzipped package to a new directory on my server, and it then asks me to start the initial setup all over again.
Is there a single config file that I could move from the functioning pws folder on my server into the new folder that I put the December version into, and have it be the newest code with an old setup to save all that work?
Dale

If you have a “standard” installation, without to much adaptions:

1. copy from old folder the pwsWD/ the file w34_settings1.php to pwsWD12/_my_settings/
  2. Then use your ftp program or cpanel/filemanager to rename that copied file to settings.php
    When you restart, go to the menu , select settings and easyweather-setup starts.
    Check all answers, especially the ones with a “blue background” and press the button “Save configuration” at the bottom

From this release almost :? all user modifications are done in the _my_settings/ folder

===

When the pwsWD12/ version is OK to you, rename pwsWD/ to pwsOLD/ and pwsWD12 to pwsWD/
Then start the settings (from the menu) and click “Save configuration” in the green block at the bottom.
The settings need to lear form which folder the scripts are executed.

===
If you are NOT using WU there is a one-time only conversion work todo of the graphs-files.

Wim

You should always run the 3 cron-files, regardless of which graphs files you are using.
Better response times, update of the history file a.s.o.

• Best way to go, is to use WU for the historical data and graphs with most tempates.
    [li]All scripts function correct when using the MITM scripts as written by Ken True (Saratoga) and myself (Leuven)
    That MITM script is also included in this version of the dashboard.[/li]
    [li]Multiple additional scripts, newly written or converted from other templates, will become available to run in the PWS_Dashboard.
    [list]
    [li]The WU-history script to browse through all years WU data.
    Especially interesting as WU, understandably so, blocked their version to run in an iFrame. Example here [/li]
  • The coloured tables to compare min-max for all weather-values a year or season at a time. Example here

[/li]
[/list]

Is there any script to import data from past years? My weather station is online since 2005 running WD.
There is for “WU => this year only” The “own text files” do not need more then 360 days in the past.
I’m also working on a new, more accurate Greek language translation.
Thank you :smiley:
Thank you Wim, for the hard work on this template!
Thanos

You are welcome,

Wim

Meanwhile, I thank you for the answers Wim.

I switched to the December version and everything seems to work fine except for the ‘Map’ button inside the barometer box that does not open a window. For graphics, I’m using WU, everything seems ok, even if I would prefer to use the graphics created directly from the template using cronjobs I uploaded the previous year, month and day data but the values ​​on the graphs were very busted

https://www.meteocamporamoso.it/pwsWD/index.php

That is a link to a page from the menu. That is the Atlantic map, [b]example on my site[/b]
You should either set line 179 in PWS_blocks.php to comment.
Or allow extra pages in the menu and tailor them to your liking in _my_settings/frames.php

For graphics, I’m using WU, everything seems ok, even if I would prefer to use the graphics created directly from the template using cronjobs I uploaded the previous year, month and day data but the values ​​on the graphs were very busted

Zavattarello (PV) IT Home Weather Station (DWL version)

Thanks for using the PWS_dashboard and for the link to your site :smiley:

Wim

The Atlantic map is fixed, everything is ok.

For the graphs you suggest me to continue with WU or I can solve the problem of out of scale generated with the cronjobs method. I’d rather avoid WUs for graphics

It takes some time to get your website displaying here in Europe. Maybe some kind of Chinese wall?
You should consider running the 3 cronjobs, expecially the every 5 minute one. That improves response-times also.

• The graphs are displayed from WU => OK
  • The history can only display meaningful data when you run the 3 cron-jobs. => work to do: cron or remove from pwsWD/PWS_blocks.php
  • The forecasts pop-up correct => OK
    [li]Airport pop-up empty as you did not requested your free API-key for that => request one:
    => easyweathersettings => CheckWX Metar API KEY you need to sign up here => https://www.checkwx.com/signup [/li]
    [li]Radar pop-up displays a European radar. You need to adapt the script and if the other two are not OK to you, you need to find a local one
    Script: https://stillwaterweather.com/pwsWD12/rain_popup.php?sce=view lines 46 - 49[/li]
#     set the link to your rainradar image here
$rainradar_img  = 'https://www.meteox.com/images.aspx?jaar=-3&voor=&soort=exp&c=&n=&tijdid='.time();
#$rainradar_img  = 'https://icons.wxug.com/data/weather-maps/radar/united-states/united-states-current-radar.gif?'.time();
#$rainradar_img  = 'http://icons.wunderground.com/data/640x480/ne_rd_anim.gif?'.time();

Succes with adapting the dashboard to your situation. If you find more extras to adapt, please post them here.

Wim

There is really no reason to not use WU. I am developing multiple scripts to use WU data as we can safely use our own data for years to come.
The new WU-api is working correct, the .CSV files are not used anymore and are generated by the MITM scripts for old scripts.

Just curious, why do you prefer 360 days of history with your own data in .txt format to years of history using WU ?

or I can solve the problem of out of scale generated with the cronjobs method. I'd rather avoid WUs for graphics
But if you want to use the text files for this year, I can convert that file. I need [b]the link to the old site[/b] for that conversion.

Wim

If you tell me that the WU charts are now reliable, then I stop the cronjobs and use WU. The problem had arisen in the past at the change of the month, in which the WU charts created anomalies. If they work well now, we use WU.

Thanks for everything Wim, this template is fantastic

But you should continue to use the crons also, as they do other things, such as improving performance by pre-loading data.
And they update the history also.
The weatherlink.com data contains no yesterday values. Those come from the history file.
So you need to run those 3 cron-jobs,

Wim

OK so if metric wind units from WDapi are m/s then these are default units saved to chartsmydata/2019.txt and chartsmydata/today.txt and all new data added will be in m/s so I am not sure how converting the wind speed values in the chartsmydata/2019.txt to mph going to help, I had assumed that the graph creation module would have converted the m/s to mph but I have clearly got that wrong and at present my today graph says mph but the values are m/s, I have corrected the values for the 16th wind after manually sorting after typo in the WD cron setup meant the midnight jobs failed
http://ballaugh.no-ip.biz:2082/pwsWD/index.php December release
http://ballaugh.no-ip.biz:2082/pws11/index.php November beta

Harold

Ok then I also keep the cronjobs. Will the previous files need to be modified or updated? Is it something I can do on my own or do I have to provide them?

How would I switch from Atlantic map to Pacific map?

The converted file I sent you should be in UK-units. (C, mm, mph, hPa) I assumed that is what you selected in both easyweather for pws11/ and pwsWD/
No difference for whatever weather-program you use as the scripts now convert whatever the weather-program unit is to your default units.
When drawing the graphs they take those default values and display the graphs in the units the visitor selected.

I will check your pws11/ 2019.txt file and recreate the file to C, mm, mph, hPa. I did that last time and the result here looked OK.

I see no differences between the pws11 and the pwsWD (december) release now. The update yearly file looks Ok to me.

STUPID ME: My fault. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
The error is visible in the daily file. Will post new script today.
Onbly checked your updates year file. Overlooked that you are talking about the daily file. :smiley:
Wim

Please always supply the URL to your dashboard website.

If you are using the December release, the extra frames are in _my_settings/frames.php
Line 63, remove the comment mark at the first position => no Atlantic map
Line 73, add a comment mark and the pacific map will be displayed.

Succes, Wim

No graphs-files to change when using WU. They will be loaded and updated by the crons and the MITM script.

You could remove the unneeded languages in _my_settings/languages.txt
F.i. only one German language is needed, same for US and UK english

All those languages are only used for countries with multiple official languages. But please also add an English language (as the last one) even if you do not need it. I need it to give support.

Check the other files in _my_settings/ for other things to customize.

Wim