Problem with currently posted versions and libs? - Solved

I have been trying to reset my installation and move it to another system running Snow Leopard.
I want to use the system with Weathersnoop, since the USB implementation of Wdisplay for the WRM100 is atrocious and failure prone, and has not changed.
What I see on the download page is: Weather Display For Intel MAC OSX10.4 and above Full Install v10.37L Build 60 for the basic install, and: Weather Display Intel Mac Latest Application v10.37L Build 67 for the update app image.
Item 1 installs fine. I went through the installation of the library install package, and the included wdisplay app runs without crashing after setting folder permissions etc. But it does not permit connection to Weathersnoop.
The updated application crashes for lack of a libjack.dylib. I managed to identify this as part of the Jack OS X audio package, and installed it. I then get another load failure after the first dialogs related to a link failure with liblunar.dylib:
Symbol not found: _Moonage
Referenced from: /Applications/Weather/WeatherD.app/Contents/MacOS/WeatherD
Expected in: /usr/lib/liblunar.dylib

This would indicate that most likely the library I have from Build 60 is outdated.

Folks, I now have spent two hours on this, and I develop software myself, so I am not blind to the issues and can read a crash dump. I have spent similar time on previous occasions to get the package limping along.

I would suggest that:

1. Complete packages are posted with an installer.
  2. Somebody checks what is available to a new user on a fresh system.
  3. The best way to avoid library hell is to inter all frameworks and libs in the current bundle. You can do that by setting up the Mach-O IDs and pathnames with install_name_tool, and making them relative to the executable in Bundle/Contents/MacOS (in this case WeatherD), either as @executable_path/nn.dylib, or another relative path, if you want a different bundle subfolder for all the libs (not recommended, unless they are frameworks, or there are oodles of them).

otool -L against the binaries will show you, what needs to be patched up.

If you need help with this, I would be glad to offer my services. It takes little time.

But I would love the latest executable and libs for Snow Leopard - please…

Thanks,
– Harald

Hi Harald,

I’m not familiar with the setups required for using weathersnoop, nor am I that knowledgable with coding and the mac directory structure but one thing that looks different to me is your path /Applications/Weather/WeatherD.app/Contents/MacOS/WeatherD . I thought the WeatherD.app had to reside directly in the Applications folder and not the subfolder Weather/ you have indicated. More like this /Applications/WeatherD.app/Contents/MacOS/WeatherD .

Regarding your offer to help with the mac version, that would be great. You would need to hook up with Brian (Windy) and see if he is open to your suggestions, maybe PM him.

Correction from Brian, my bad:

[quote]I actually recommend it to go into
/Applications/wdisplay/

I actually recommend it to go into
/Applications/wdisplay/

as for library files installs, I need all the help I can get…

libjack.dylib is a library file I created myself
you will not find a replacement on the web

it should be included in the library install files in the full install

the fact others have been able to get an install working means that it must be included I would have thought

currently WD is expecting the library files to be in the default
/user/local/lib/

but if the system could be changed so that it knows to look for them in the application bundle, then that would be the best solution

I cleared out all downloaded images, and downloaded the DMG once more.
This time, it was clear that this image was different in layout. The library installer was set up to install libraries, and still optionally install the drivers, which I do not need, since I connect to WeatherSnoop. So what we have here is a clear case of operator error on my part!

WeatherSnoop does a nice job with USB, and storing data in Core Data (SQLite), but it’s tracking display and other features do not come close to WeatherDisplay.

BTW, there is a name conflict with /usr/local/jacklib.dylib, if Jack OS X is installed.

I will take a look at moving the DYLIBs into the bundle, as soon as get some breathing space.

BTW, Brian, what are you using as a framework on OSX (if any)? The UI is distinctly Un-Mac like, fixing the menus should be an easy step to make it look more like a normal Mac application.

The best cross platform framework we found is Qt, which has an Open Source version (we use commercial, but that is expensive). You could move development to the Qt Creator IDE, and be platform independent for OSX, WIN, and Linux (supports them all).

http://qt.nokia.com/

– Harald

I have worked with QT on the linux version before, free version, but had problems with it
currently cocoa is used on the Mac
the mac version is a port from the windows version, hence problems with fonts and sizes on forms, etc