Odd looking extra sensor realtime graph

My extra sensor realtime graph looks very odd. See an example at:

http://www.weather-watch.com/blackpool-weather/extrarealtimegraph.gif

There are three problems:

1. One sensor value is going from a high to low value fairly regularly and another value is going from a low to high value very regularly.
  2. The legends don’t make sense, so I can’t actually work out which sensor values are doing weird things.
  3. Why does the graph show five lines when there are only four extra sensor readings (2 * temp & 2 * humidity)

I’ve got two extra temperature/humidity sensors on a WMR928N. They’re set at channels two and three, becuase I wasn’t sure whether either the indoor or outdoor temp/humidity sensors used channel 1 so I wanted to leave it clear cust in case. I now suspect that channel 1 would be the first extra sensor, so I could move the two units down a channel but being lazy I can’t be bothered to do that!

Also if I display the extra sensor graph on my PC there’s an option for ‘Other graph’. If I select this I do get another graph, but it’s unreadable because the font used is too small. I can’t find a way to increase the font size, so how is this graph supposed to be used?

i am not sure why the data errors from the wmr918 extra sensors
but i will investigate (might be a conflict of data sources)
also, i need to fix the values not udating on the right hand side for the web image,
extra graph:
i am not sure if i can improve that much (FONT) , (its a component)

also, you can set which lines to plot, colour, labels, etc, via the setup

i am not sure if i can improve that much (FONT) , (its a component)

Is it just my PC, because I can hardly read any of the text. I can guess what some of it says, but that’s about it.

also, you can set which lines to plot, colour, labels, etc, via the setup

I’ve tried that, but the values don’t always seem to stay set. I’ve set sensor two and three as tempterature and six and seven as the corresponding humidity values, but sensor five currently doesn’t seem to want to stay unset. If I clear the text value out of sensor five field and click Set, it still comes back next time I look at the graph.

Hi Chris,
You could try this. Change the channel 3 sensor to channel 1. On the extra sensor graph page set names and colors for sensors 1 (Temperature ) & 2, and (Humidity). Sensor channel 2 set names and colors for sensors 3 (Temperature ) & 4, and (Humidity) on the extra sensor graph. Tick Display for sensors 1-4. Insure all unused sensors do not have a name set and Display is unticked. Be sure to click the “Set” button on each sensor setup line after making any changes.
Sensor #7 is bouncing up and down
Sensor #8 is climbing up
Check the batteries in both sensors.

I’ll have to get over my laziness, dig a torch out and go down the garden tonight to retrieve sensor 3 from the greenhouse :wink:

Chris,

Do you have a fan of any type in the greenhouse?
Do you have any automatic device that would be switching off and on in the greenhouse?
The display for sensor #7 is really strange.

There’s no fan or other automatic device in the greenhouse. The nearest electrical devices are probably 20-30ft away from the sensor.

I’ve now got both extra sensors next to me and they are set to channels 1 and 2. If I look at the View | WMR918/WMR968 Extra Sensor display the correct values show for Sensor #1 and Sensor #2. I can set the sensor names here and I’ve set channel 1 as Greenhouse and channel 2 as Downstairs.

I’ve then gone to the Extra Sensor Realtime Graph and turned graph lines 1-8 on so that I can see what’s happening. At the moment values 1 and 3 show the channel 1 temp. Values 2 and 4 show the channel 1 humidity. Line 5 shows channel 2 temp and line 6 shows channel 2 humidity. Lines 7/8 show zero.

Confused? You bet I am :?

There's no fan or other automatic device in the greenhouse. The nearest electrical devices are probably 20-30ft away from the sensor.

I’ve now got both extra sensors next to me and they are set to channels 1 and 2. If I look at the View | WMR918/WMR968 Extra Sensor display the correct values show for Sensor #1 and Sensor #2. I can set the sensor names here and I’ve set channel 1 as Greenhouse and channel 2 as Downstairs.

I’ve then gone to the Extra Sensor Realtime Graph and turned graph lines 1-8 on so that I can see what’s happening. At the moment values 1 and 3 show the channel 1 temp. Values 2 and 4 show the channel 1 humidity. Line 5 shows channel 2 temp and line 6 shows channel 2 humidity. Lines 7/8 show zero.

Confused? You bet I am :?

Hi Chris,

I think you might try setting up the

I’ll try your suggestions this evening if I get a chance.

I don’t think I’ve lost the spikes. I think they’re just much smaller with fluctuations of just a couple of tenths of a degree. If you look at the top line in the graph (dark green), you’ll see it looks thicker than the other lines. I think the thickness/fuzziness is down to small spikes. When I looked at the values for that line last night it was giving two different values for very small time differences on the graph, yet the value on the sensor wasn’t changing anything like that rapidly.

It’s possible that WD is confusing the readings from the two sensors. They’re now within a few inches of each other, so effectively the same temperature (within the available level of accuracy). Until yesterday evening one was inside and the other outside, so the temperature difference between the two was much greater, hence bigger spikes.

I don't think I've lost the spikes. I think they're just much smaller with fluctuations of just a couple of tenths of a degree. If you look at the top line in the graph (dark green), you'll see it looks thicker than the other lines. I think the thickness/fuzziness is down to small spikes. When I looked at the values for that line last night it was giving two different values for very small time differences on the graph, yet the value on the sensor wasn't changing anything like that rapidly.

It’s possible that WD is confusing the readings from the two sensors. They’re now within a few inches of each other, so effectively the same temperature (within the available level of accuracy). Until yesterday evening one was inside and the other outside, so the temperature difference between the two was much greater, hence bigger spikes.

I see what you mean. You could try reversing the channels on the two sensors which would tell you if it was a particular sensor. One sensor may be defective.

I have a WMR968 with the outdoor sensor, indoor sensor, and three extra sensors. While trying to determine the accuracy of the sensors I placed them as close together as I was able to for several days. I did not notice any interference problems with the sensors.

My graph is now making more sense, although what I’ve had to do wasn’t intuitive.

I’ve swapped over channels for Sensor 1/2 and reset the sensors and console to make sure the station thinks everything configured correctly. The console shows the correct temp/humidity values from each sensor.

If I then go to the View | WMR918/WMR968 Extra Sensor menu entry, I can see the values for sensor 1 and 2 updating correctly, so WD is picking up the correct values.

Moving on to the Extra Sensor Realtime Graph…

I have to set the 8 lines to:

#1 —/Don’t display
#2 —/Don’t display
#3 Solar Temp/Yellow/Display
#4 Solar Humidity/Light Blue/Display
#5 Greenhouse Temp/Red/Display
#6 Greenhouse Humidity/Blue/Display
#7 —/Don’t display
#8 —/Don’t display

So sensor 1 values display in slots 3/4 and sensor 2 values in slots 5/6 for some reason. I’m not sure where slots 1/2 get their values from, unless some weather stations can have a sensor channel 0? This isn’t intuitive, but I can live with it for now.

I’m not sure if the graph is supposed to update in real-time, but it doesn’t seem to. The legend on the right hand side of the graph doesn’t seem to update to match the current sensor values. Brian said there was something wrong with the web image of this graph where the numbers didn’t update, so perhaps this is a related problem.

The lines plotted on the graph also dont’ seem to update as regularly as they could. If I move the cursor across the graph I can position the vertical ‘time bar’ past the end of the plotted lines and the values to the right of the graph show me the current sensor readings even though there is no line plotted at this point. I don’t think this is down to the update interval (20 seconds) because the lines seem to take minutes to be replotted.

Anyway, at least I now have a more sensible looking graph! I’ll put the greenhouse sensor back in place and see about using sensor 1 as a solar sensor. I’ll also buy a third sensor now to put back downstairs.

I'm not sure if the graph is supposed to update in real-time, but it doesn't seem to. The legend on the right hand side of the graph doesn't seem to update to match the current sensor values. Brian said there was something wrong with the web image of this graph where the numbers didn't update, so perhaps this is a related problem.
Extra Sensor real time graph. The only way I have been able to view the current temperature/humidity readings on the Extra Sensor real time graph is viewing the Extra Sensor real time graph in WD and move the cursor line to the right end of the displayed sensor lines. The values displayed will be uploaded to a web page during the next upload but the values on the web page will stay as they were when they were last viewed in WD. The values will not be updated on the web page. Only the Extra Sensor real time graph lines will be updated on the web page. If WD is restarted the temperature/humidity will display --- instead of values.

Extra Sensor dials
The Extra Sensor dials appear to always display the current temperature/humidity on a web page. However, if the default names for the dials are changed and WD is restarted, the names on the web page will display the default names, not as changed on the Extra Sensor dials view page. Another

I’ve now added a third extra temp/humidity sensor to my system and the real-time graph has stared misbehaving again. You can see it at:

http://www.weather-watch.com/blackpool-weather/extrarealtimegraph.gif

The third sensor has the temperature line in orange and the humidity line in cyan. Both lines are oscillating between the correct values and some other weird value. I don’t think the incorrect temperature is any other value in the system, because there’s nothing around 40degC here at the moment!

Going back to my original report, I think the oscillating value was on the channel 3 sensor. The sensor currently on channel 3 is a different one than last time (new today) and the console is correctly displaying the temperature on the sensor and the history on the console shows a max temp from this sensor of 21degC, so I don’t think the console has is reporting 40degC to WD.

The WMR918/WMR968 Extra Sensor option on the View menu shows the correct values for all three sensors and doesn’t show a widely varying value for channel 3 (or any other channel)

hi
ok, so , there is something a miss with the 3rd extra temp sensor
i have a wmr918, so i better fire it up , with the extra sensor and check it out, and i better fix the latest reading on the right hand side not updating for the internet image
hang in there guys :slight_smile:

I’m hanging on :microwave:

and i better fix the latest reading on the right hand side not updating for the internet image

It doesn’t update when displayed on the PC, but maybe that’s related to the Internet problem.