Normal Temperature tag?

I thought it would be cool to have the ability to display not only the current temp, but last years temp and a “NORMAL” temp for any given day.

There is a local weather site that does this… his algorithm is interesting and seems to be pretty accurate.

Just an idea!

Here is a link that describes how he comes up with “Normal” temps…
http://weathercurrents.com/temecula/Normal.jsp

humm, that data is already available in wd
under view, averages/extreme

i,.e longer term averages:
and you can see for any day

also, the 3D graph plots the average (from your data) temperature for each day of the month, and the average hi/low temperature for each day of the month…as well as this months current temperature for each day and hi/lo temperature for each day (but i see there are a couple of things wrong)

and under view,temp/wind/rain trend
the 3 d graph plots this month last years readings too…

What I was looking for was a way to display, via a tag, the “Normal” temperature for that moment… say the Normal temp for today… that way I could display current temp, normal temp for this date/time, and perhaps last years temp for this date/time…

Most of us don’t have enough years under our belt to produce a reasonable normal temp for any day in history, so I thought the algorithm used by the gentleman who runs a local site here was pretty cool.

Just an idea… no biggie…

CURRENT WEATHER CONDITIONS
Monday, May 12, 2003

ok, but there are custom tags for the climate average temperature you have entered, under view, averages/extreme, but thats is only for the whole month average, so do you want to be able to enter the average for each day of the month? (max/min and average?)

This is no biggie, just an idea… but yes… per day…

So that if I looked at my data I could see what the current temperature is, what it was last year and what is “Normal” for this date and time… the problem lies in that most of us don’t have enough years of data to produce a local “Normal” for any date and time… the algorithm used in the above original post was and seems to be pretty accurate… it’s a “Normalized” number, but gives you an idea of what a temperature should be for that day vs. what it actually is or was last year… This would require a pretty extensive log of data, if done both for time of day and entire day, which perhaps isn’t available in WD…

If you think it is a bad idea, I’m cool with that… just thought it might be a cool custom tag to have…

Here is how it might be done on per day basis…

NORMAL conditions that you see are an 11 day moving average of the particular weather condition around and including the target date, for all of the years currently on record. For example, the normal high and low temperatures for February 15th would be computed by averaging all of the high and low temperature samples for February 10th through the 20th for all of the years in the archive. Averaging gives a nice seasonal sampling from many days of data surrounding the target date and reduces aberrations for a single date. If you view these numbers often, you would notice the normal highs and lows sliding upwards as you might expect in the springtime and decaying in the autumn.

Likewise, normal temperatures, humidities, and wind conditions for time of day could be computed using the same 11 day moving average. The difference is that the samples used for averaging to compute the normal condition are derived from the nearest sample to that time of day for each day used in the computation.

All of this would become more and more accurate as the years went by… more data, better normalization…

Although it might work for our boring CA weather I question whether the algorithm would be useful in areas, and at times of year, when there may be greater day to day variability. For instance in a mountain region where it might either be clear/warm or snowing would the calculated 11 day “normal” of maybe 50 deg mean anything?

I wouldn’t like to see features ignored just because they don’t apply to the whole world. For example, snow melt isn’t likely to be much use in equatorial countries, but it’s still worth having for those who do get snow.

I’m attracted to weather watching because I’d like to try to spot observable/recordable weather patterns that I can apply more generally. Suggestions of algorithms from other areas that might be applicable here are therefore of interest.

I was just trying to come up with an algorithm to determine an average daily temperature for our stations… as with most averages the more samples you have, the better the average… and in Sunny California, I imagine I can have it nailed in two years… you are right, much of the world would not come close as quickly… but, eventually, you would come up with a reasonable average… by definition… I just thought, still do, that it would be a cool tag to have as an option… figured WD has all the data, it would just be a rather simple math calculation to return that value.

If anybody can come up with a better way of creating a local average, I’d love to look/think/try it out!

Thanks all!