NHC RSS Feed WERE Useless - But Ken fixed it.

[quote author=nikoshepherd

Always have to be aware of possible scammers… that’s just sick!

Well, there’s more than one way to fix the RSS feed from the NHC, so I’ve updated my script (which is a direct pull, not a mirror, and has NO caching) to follow the links in the feed (for text/not graphics), and include the missing advisory/discussion text in the returned page.

Edit: Source and documentation now at http://saratoga-weather.org/scripts.php#NHCRSS

I haven’t heard back from the NHC webmaster yet, and Roger (cayman wx) is having a discussion with a friend at the NHC. I’d like for them to improve the feed (as RSS is very efficient for distributing this kind of message), but until then, the source above will get the content we wanted.

Best regards,
Ken

Looks good. I think the “Updated:” line is confusing though because it’s applied to all the bulletins regardless of age, and dominates the actual “Issued” line.

Updated: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 16:07:15 GMT

Issued at 1100 AM EDT WED JUN 14 2006

Good idea… I’ve removed the ‘Updated: date’ which was directly from the feed, and let the description from the feed (which only has the Issued: date) stay in the description.

Thanks!

Ken

That’s better :slight_smile: Can you recognize and bold those lines?

Yep! :smiley:

Any other requests?

Best regards,
Ken

Well, that was quick, so how about bigger/different color too 8O

Gosh, Nico… at this rate, I’d be vying with Brian for responsiveness :lol:

I think the color can be easily handled with a CSS style for the page.
All the titles are in

, all the alerts are in
 so if you just use an inline CSS, you can roll 'em any way you want  :smiley:

Best regards,
Ken

Ken,

I cant wait to get home tonight and try this puppy out. Of course, right at about that time the TD will be gone!! :? Thanks for the great work!!!

Ken,

Since you are taking requests… :smiley:

The headers, for example are…
`
Tropical Depression ALBERTO Public Advisory Number 18

Tropical Depression ALBERTO Forecast/Advisory Number 18

Tropical Depression ALBERTO Forecast Discussion Number 18

Tropical Depression ALBERTO Wind Speed Probabilities Number 18

Tropical Depression ALBERTO Graphics

Atlantic Tropical Weather Outlook
`
Is there any way to select which headers (and the actual text per your second script) to display? Suppose I only want to display the Public Advisories and Discussions and none of the other stuff… Can the script be written to configure that as an extension of the URL or, instead, internally within the PHP code?

Just curious.

Adam

I’ll take a look and see what can be done, Adam.

Ken

Regardless of my last idea, I am quite impressed that you got this working the way you did. I intend to get this up and running on my interface viewer tonight. There is no way you only ‘dabble’ in PHP. Your work is impressive. :cheers:

Please post any followup in this new thread :smiley: