New name for program ?? opinions everyone

I was just kind of wondering : wouldn’t it be a good idea to change the name of weatherdisplay into something shorter . This is what I mean: since buying wd I’ve seen the numbers adding up , 7.11,7.11a 9.60a etc. you see my point … wouldn’t it be nicer both on the site for advertising purposes and in the titlebar of the program to call t Weatherdisplay premium or something like that . Brian could always include a read-me file with the version history of say the last 10 releases . Now it seems we are going towards version 23.2a :wink: if we wait long enough… any thoughts on this?? Not exactly an important issue , but one worth considering I think …

Most software companies use the numbers to the left of the decimal point to indicate a MAJOR revision of the software product. The number to the right of the decimal point is usually used to indicate the addition of a new feature. The use of a letter, usually indicates a patch to the existing version. This is not cast in stone - software companies often use different numbering systems.

Also, most software companies aren’t as prolific as Brian is. Most will have a numbering scheme for internal use that indicates each individual fix being made. It usually consists of 2 decimal points (10.123.456). When released to the general public, the version number is usually changed to using one decimal point (9.62a).

Again, every software company has their own numbering scheme, but, you are correct, in that most companies don’t like to let their version numbers climb too high, since some people will look at the version number, and assume that the vendor is having a lot of problems with their software, and to stay away from it.

I was just kind of wondering : wouldn't it be a good idea to change the name of weatherdisplay into something shorter . This is what I mean: since buying wd I've seen the numbers adding up , 7.11,7.11a 9.60a etc. you see my point .. wouldn't it be nicer both on the site for advertising purposes and in the titlebar of the program to call t Weatherdisplay premium or something like that . Brian could always include a read-me file with the version history of say the last 10 releases . Now it seems we are going towards version 23.2a ;) if we wait long enough... any thoughts on this?? Not exactly an important issue , but one worth considering I think ....
With all the work Brian has and is doing with Weather Display I have little interest in changing the name or how the versions are numbered. I would rather be a beta tester and be able to use the program today than wait 3 or 4 years for a polished program. And, I must remember that Brian is a Diary Farmer and not a "Full Time" programer. :)

No, to a name change. Weather Display is a good name, it’s descriptive and to the point. In discussion and news groups it get abbreviated to WD and everyone understands. The Rev. version to me is only important for trouble shooting and reference.

Bob

No, to a name change. Weather Display is a good name, it's descriptive and to the point. In discussion and news groups it get abbreviated to WD and everyone understands. The Rev. version to me is only important for trouble shooting and reference.

Bob

The same to me…

And if numbers are getting to high, why not beginning again from a lower number… Much easier…

Have a nice day or night…

:wink:

keep it Weather Display, WD , but to change the name, no.

I wasn’t suggesting to get rid of the name Weatherdisplay ( in my opinion that’s a perfect name for the program ) . I was just suggesting a different slant on it , meaning not to mention the version # all the time …we’re now at version 9.x at the rate Brian is posting updates ( and these are all improvements, don’t misunderstand me ! ) it won’t be long until we reach version 20.x , the version history like I suggested could very well be included as a read-me file for debugging purposes . It’s not like I’m suggesting anything earth-shattering , software compamies do it like this all the time ( you don’t see something like windows 2000 v 1a for instance ) , anyway if people are in complete disagreement over this , let’s just drop it and keep it the way it is …it was after all just a suggestion :slight_smile:

I’m afraid that I have to agree with Bob and the other “no voters” on this one!..I find it convenient to have the version # on the title. Especially when doing roll-backs etc. :slight_smile:

i do have a history file
see the link on the main wd page
or
http://www.weather-display.com/history.txt

rookie, the dust has just about settled enough for me to have a look at the log import to graphs again

I would have to vote no also. I use the verison number on the main title quite often.

Vote no also 8O

I vote no as well…

how about
weather dismay?
joke!
(if you cant laugh at your self, who can you laugh at)
(that name has been given before by VWS users)

Hello Brain, :oops:

That wasn’t a joke, it was a spelling mistook!!! :smiley:

Bob

GWBush?

Why are we debating what Brian should name HIS program?
Curious,
Jim

I was wondering the same thing.

this thread is a band wagon full of people who jumped on it,LOL
the original post was about calling a version weather display premium
maybe in another 3 years, LOL

Weather Display Premium!

Isn’t that longer Brian? LOLOLOL

Bob

One thing lost on this “band wagon”, is the fact I can all ready change the title under setups/general if I want!