Minimize at 3 am to refresh memory not working

HI Brian

It appears that the “minimize at 3 am to refresh memory” is no longer working. I’m not quite sure when it quit working, but I know it has not worked in 933 - 934b. Also the memory useage is growing without it. The manual refresh works fine but haven’t tried the “auto refresh” at 10 pm as the was previously causing me problems.

Win2000 with latest Service Pack, 3 I think.

Thanks

Cheers

:slight_smile:

MikeyM

HI Brian

It appears that the “minimize at 3 am to refresh memory” is no longer working. I’m not quite sure when it quit working, but I know it has not worked in 933 - 934b. Also the memory useage is growing without it. The manual refresh works fine but haven’t tried the “auto refresh” at 10 pm as the was previously causing me problems.

Win2000 with latest Service Pack, 3 I think.

Thanks

Cheers

:slight_smile:

MikeyM

Yes definately isnt working. I hit the button and my memory drops from 80mb down to 5mb :!: This situation i cant run anything until i shut WD down.

oh, i put in a restore straight after, and that must nullify the effect
i will change that back
so this has been working, huh? (at keeping memory use down)

Where is the setting for this?

Ian

under help, about
latest vers has this working again

Hmm. Strange location. But never mind.

Does the memory consumption problem that this feature fixes occur with Windows 2000?

If it doesn’t, I’ll turn it off.

Regards

Ian

Yes, Ian, it appears to be a Win2000 problem.

Brian, thanks for the fix. I’ll have to wait til I get back home on Fri to download. I’m on a 4 day trip, but I guess someone has to fly all these people that want to go to grandma’s for Thanksgiving. I really need to get the Remote Administrator going so I can do if from the “road”.

As always I appreciate the GREAT support. :smiley: :slight_smile:

Happy Holidays to all

Cheers

MikeyM

Brian,
I’m reviving this Bug as there is something very strange happening with the 3 a.m. reset. I noticed on my live system that it became extemely sluggish after this reset. I put up a system memory/cpu monitor to see if I could find anything. When I fist launched dRAMatic software, the CPU was 100% and it stayed there. The only thing running on this box is WD.
I then shutdown WD and re-fired. The memory then acted properly and has been ever since. I’m seeing the one minute peaks, then it drops back immediately-no hanging.
It is only at the 3 a.m. reset of memory that the program stays up there and hogs 100% of the CPU.
Has anyone else noticed this happening on their system?

thats weird

at 3am the program is just minimised, thats all

the memory defrag option is done at 10pm…

Brian,
I had the 10 p.m reset unchecked for last night, I do have it checked now to see what happens at 3 a.m. I’ll leave it checked for tonight’s 10 pm reset. I’m trying to narrow down what is happening to cause the 100% CPU problem that it won’t clear until WD is shutdown.
Will let you know the results.

Brian,
Just an update as to what I’m now seeing and it is a combination of both the PC/XP and WD I’m thinking.

The 10 pm reset apparently isn’t the cause either. I put my portable into an external video mode to blacken the screen, eventhough there isn’t an external monitor attached to keep the screen from burning.

Tonight when I went in and brought the portable’s screen alive again, all was running ok, normal CPU usuage, but after about 3 seconds, the CPU shot up to 100% and stayed there, and I let WD run thinking it was doing some goodies (around 00:45 a.m.) and it continued to stay at 100% for yet another 5 minutes, so I did shutdown WD and it cleared. Restarted WD again and so far so good, normal CPU usuage with spikes.

sounds like something to do with screen update/video driver or similar

time to watch TV here…