Making WD much more accurate

When it starts raining, wd is some minutes late, til the rain gauge sends the first tip.

WD could be made very accurate with the following addition - similar to “check back for its stopped raining”:

Brian - could you program, that wd checks back always the LAST minute the following 2 parameters: DEW POINT and HUMIDITY.

If dew point increases minimum 2.5

interesting idea…but it could open up a can of worms (like the snow melt threshold did)
the VP is actualy surprisingly slow at checking the rain gauge for a new tip, for the console even, and there is yet another delay in the data made available to the serial port…but other weather stations are more responsive than the VP in this regard

I will give this some thought though…

what could happen in the worste case?

interesting idea....but it could open up a can of worms (like the snow melt threshold did) the VP is actualy surprisingly slow at checking the rain gauge for a new tip, for the console even, and there is yet another delay in the data made available to the serial port....but other weather stations are more responsive than the VP in this regard

I will give this some thought though…

maybe call it threatening to rain, or rain is imenient, or something like that?
but yes if you use the settings you have outlined, it will be rain that does that or the kids and a water hose…
but if the rain has been gradual to arrive, it wont trigger it…it will if its a sudden onset of rian (like a summer heat shower/thunderstorm or passing shower in a showery otherwise low DP airstream)
anyway, bedtime here…

Hmm, be interesting to know what it would do on the coast where we often have pretty fast changes between heavy fog/no fog/sunshine and back. Need to be real careful to ensure any such algorithm is going to be universal otherwise it’ll just be another support nightmare.

thats what i meant by a can of worms
but i would have option to enable or not

Hmm, be interesting to know what it would do on the coast where we often have pretty fast changes between heavy fog/no fog/sunshine and back. Need to be real careful to ensure any such algorithm is going to be universal otherwise it'll just be another support nightmare.
:)
thats what i meant by a can of worms but i would have option to enable or not
:(

I dont think, that in this case the humidity increases ffrom one minute to the other more than 7% AND the dew point also + 2.5

i will add it to my never ending and growing again to do list (with an option to enable or disable it)

[quote=“meteofrog”]I dont think, that in this case the humidity increases ffrom one minute to the other more than 7% AND the dew point also + 2.5

Weather Display reports rain fall the second that my 1-wire rain guage tips which is after .01" of rain falls. This happens instantly.

brain, I think it is the better solution let have the comparison between the last 3 minutes data (humidity +7 % or if the tip is earlier, then it starts raining)

cheers

i will add it to my never ending and growing again to do list (with an option to enable or disable it)

The results of such an algorithm will be easy to test once we get a way to import log data into our databases… a fairly simple sql statement should show us every logged instance that the “Rain” flag would have been triggered do to dew point and humidity at the levels indicated… we could then crosscheck those instances with the rain readings around them and see if it holds true…

Exciting stuff!

Programming is like home owning… no matter how new the furniture, how clean the carpet… there is always a wall someplace that needs new paint, or somebody wants to see it in a differnent color… you never catch up… don’t let it get ya down Brian! Doesn’t matter how long that list gets… just do the things you a) want to do and b) have time to do…

Cheers!

Indeed, if you put ALL the things EVERYBODY wants into WD it would end up some big ugly bloated application that STILL would have people asking for more.
Perhaps you could take a tip from the Linux world, and leave a “stable” release available, and a “use at your own risk” release for the squawkers. wink

i have not forgoten about addign this option, just been busy with other things!

Maybe someone on the mysql thread could do the analysis?