LinkSys re-flashed with DD-WRT Firmware

Been having an ongoing issue with both of my LinkSys Cable Routers. I’ve got both a WRT350N which I got because it had a USB drive option, which turned out to be ver poorly implemented. And a WRT150N which I’ve had for about a 1/2 year longer.

Both have the same issue of eventually stopping internet traffic until they get rebooted.

This seems to be related to the number of connections etc… which is getting worse as the rest of the family does more and more with their computers.

The day before Christmas, after playing with LinkSys support again for a couple hours, I decided to try DD-WRT firmware instead.

I found that the WRT350N was not supported which figures since that is the one I was not using… but that the WRT150N was.

So I took down all the settings (I have a number of NAT settings) and did a hard reset on it.

Loaded the mini flash file first, followed by the Standard and then reconfigured the router back to the way I had it before which was pretty simple since the screens (now DD-WRT) are similar in structure.

The NAT stuff is a bit different but logically configured if you remember to hit the Save button, not Add button instead.

The result… no interruptions… Been almost a full 3 days now and by this time I would have had to reboot at least once before.

It has some cool monitoring stuff too…

I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND DOING THIS IF YOU DON’T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. You can easily Brick (as in Kill) your router if you do it wrong. You might even do it if you do it right. I had a spare router so if it killed it, I could at least get the connection going again.

The DD-WRT firmware site is: http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv3/

A real good example of how to do the same router I have which I found after I did mine. Hard to see how I missed it though…
http://www.coderetard.com/2008/05/30/installing-dd-wrt-firmware-on-a-linksys-wrt150n-wireless-router/

It has some cool monitoring stuff too…

I use tomato on mine :slight_smile:

Mark

That is what got me to start looking for alternatives. Tomato however doesn’t support the routers I have.

Good input. I’ve been thinking of doing this on a WRT54GS which starts ignoring the port forwarding settings after a couple of days.

Linksys got caught using Linux on it’s routers. And so they had to release the code they were using on the routers, being as Linux is open source :slight_smile: The good side of it is that there is now some real good “upgrades” that blow Linksys out of the water.

Mark

I have been using the DD-WRT firmware for several yrs now and have had little to no problems.
I have a wrt54gs as my main router and a wrt54gl working as a client for my HTPC in the living room.
This keeps the 2.4 ghz traffic down to a minimum so faster speed :lol:

Ken

Personally I never had a liking for consumer linksys products and generally steer away from them.
I prefer to use IPCOP and now am looking at Vyatta as my router solution. (both require a computer and two network cards minimum.) I find IPCOP to be very stable and am just using a low end pentium computer for it.

I’m not against reusing older hardware for different purposes (used one for a FreeNAS), but I don’t need the heat and power usage of a computer to provide router functions. The cable router is a max of 1000mA compared to the computer how many watts? Space can be an issue as well. The cable router sits on top of a small shelf where I can see it and is on a small UPS that is setup for it and the cable modems and my desktop.

With the new firmware, it has been rock solid, 5 days so far.

On the business side I use a Juniper SSG5 but will be upgrading to an SSG20 shortly. It has been solid as well and replaced a Cisco PIX that I had for several years that eventually crapped out. Realistically, I could use the Juniper for both sides with the same device, but I prefer to keep them as separate services.

The Juniper is in the rack with the servers. The LinkSys is on a shelf above my desk along with the two Motorola SB5120 cable modems which sit side by side.

Now I just keep the 350N as a backup router or in case a friend/family gets stuck and needs one fast.