Lacrosse WS2010 Loss of Outdoor Temp Readings

I dont know if this is a hardware or software prob… I noticed when I upgraded a few revs back (cant remember which), I developed a problem. After a period of time, hours to days, I would stop getting data from the outdoor temp/hum sensor. The LCD display was getting data, and it is located farther away than the computer receiver. After trying a few things, I suspected SW and went back to 9.33a.

Yesterday I updated to 9.36b, and then today the same thing happened. I tried a reboot (win98se), no change. I then restored 9.33a, and I immediately started getting temp/hum data. All this time, I was receiving wind and indoor temps ok. No rain, don’t know if there was a rain prob.

I also noticed the same. 9.36 was OK but noticed the problem with 9.36a and b. I’m just about to update to 9.36c to see if that’s OK

Bob

I also am experiencing the frozen outdoor readings. When the temp is below 20 degrees F it seems to just stay at the last reading until it gets warmer outdoors. I am using v 9.36a

Today, I stopped receiving temp data at about 3pm. I rebooted and then it immediately started receiving readings again. Still could be either a SW or some kind of HW-PC interaction problem. Using Ver 9.33a.

Scotty: your symptom might be a battery problem in the sensor. Batteries become less efficient at low temps. Is your sensor getting enough sunlight to keep the battery fully charged? I have added an extension wire to my unit, to allow the solar cell to be in full sunlight all day and the sensor in the shade (for temp accuracy). If you do want to do this, be sure to hermetically seal the back side and edges of the solar cell in a blob of silicone. Your warranty will be voided by the way, if the unit is still in warranty you might want to just send it back.

Thanks KPB but the console is reading the correct temperature. I do like the idea of remoteing the solar cell though and will give it a try this weekend.

Today, I stopped receiving temp data at about 3pm. I rebooted and then it immediately started receiving readings again. Still could be either a SW or some kind of HW-PC interaction problem. Using Ver 9.33a.

Scotty: your symptom might be a battery problem in the sensor. Batteries become less efficient at low temps. Is your sensor getting enough sunlight to keep the battery fully charged? I have added an extension wire to my unit, to allow the solar cell to be in full sunlight all day and the sensor in the shade (for temp accuracy). If you do want to do this, be sure to hermetically seal the back side and edges of the solar cell in a blob of silicone. Your warranty will be voided by the way, if the unit is still in warranty you might want to just send it back.

I continue to see problems with temp data loss on 9.33a so I decided to revert back to 9.20c. So far (24hrs), everything has been ok. System is P3-700, win98se, usb serial port. Definitely have to go a few more days with no data loss to know if this is related to SW or if it is the computer interface unit.

i have fixed it not working below -10 oC in vers 9.37
and abover 1032 hpa too (i think)

Brian, thanks for the fix. My symptom was not related to the temp value, it fails intermittently at many temps. This week, I am also loosing wind data sporadically. I put new batteries in the receiver not all that long ago (a couple weeks) so I don’t think it is the batteries.

Funny thing, it seems to run ok for a while after a reboot, or sometimes after closing and restarting wdisplay.

It has failed on every revision of wdisplay I have tried, including now 9.20c. I suspect it is some hardware problem with my WS2010. This weather system has really been a disappointment. The computer receiver is not sensitive, the wind sensor quit and had to be sent back (which took more than a month to get replaced), and now worsening data loss problems.

Do others out there have problems with WS2010 units?

The problem of intermittant reading can actually be caused by interference of the radio transmission from the measurement device to the receiver / interface. This is a common problem which can be resolved by relocating the receiver unit or as I did by buying the wireless repeater that LaCrosse has available.

The Lacrosse 2010 system transmits at 433MHz whuch is a ISM frequency (Industrial, Scientific and Medical) and is a license free band. This means that is also without regulation and there may be other 433MHz equipment in use by neighbors or local factory.

Also,the transmitters and receivers that LaCrosse provides are probably simple devices. This means they may not discriminate other frequencies well or be susceptible to off frequency interference (other local radio transmissions on a different frequency).

This means you will have to ensure you have an almost direct line of sight between the transmitter and receiver and try by trial and error to establish the best position for the equipment. (not always an easy task)

Like the weather, radio waves are not an exact science. They can also be affected by the weather!!!

Good Luck

Bob

Really good point about the RFI possibility, however, my symptom does not seem consistent with RFI. I had little problems for the past several months. Then in the past couple weeks, I have lost data for hours at a time. Yet, the LCD display is getting at least some data. If it was sporadic then I might believe RFI, but today I lost wind data for 8-9 hours until I rebooted. I lost some temp data for a while in there too. No weather to speak of during this time… It is high, dry, and pretty calm around here today.

Being a ham (amatuer radio) op, I know that this device uses a freq in the ham band. In order to get reliable readings, I have the computer pickup antenna connected to my rooftop 70cm (430MHz) ham antenna. That antenna gives me line of sight to all the sensors and seemed to work well.

I am trying an new set of batteries in the receiver now, maybe…

I hate to keep pooring money down this rathole. That darn repeater is expensive at nearly $100.

a bit of confusion here on my part, i thought this was a thread on the ws2310 :oops:

Well, new batteries did not fix it either. Today, wind data came in fine, but I lost outdoor temp data about mid afternoon. I am running out of things to try.

Brian,
I seem to remember these data loss problem showed up about the same time support was added for the new WS2310. Is it possible that there is a software interaction? I suspect not, since there does not seem to be other WS2010 owners piping in on this thread. Worth asking before I send my equipment back to Lacrosse.

Thanks, Kevin

I can appreciate what you are saying about the 2010… it is at best a very poor quality ws. I have owned one for the past 14 months, and until 2 months ago I had never had more than three consecutive days of readings.

I can say that by extending my pc interface as far from my computer as possible, and by adding an additional length of wiring between the outside temp & hum sensor and solar port I corrected that sensor’s problems. I have actually had two months of weather readings. I am using ver 9.36a of weather display and things seem to be just fine… I know there are bugs in the wd software, but gradually they are being corrected and enhanced. That I understand, the faulty hardware can’t be corrected. For example: Their outside humidity sensor will not go below 20% (a quirk that they don’t advertise) and is useless here in the west (U S A). I have asked if they intend to correct this and they don’t even answer the question.

I would never have been able to use the ws if I hadn’t checked this forum’s reports. The other ws2010 users have been a tremendous help to me and I hope it will continue in the future.

However, LaCrosse has had to send me new sensors on rain, wind, outside temp and hum, and a new pc interface. In fact, the only sensor that has not been replaced was the inside sensor. They even sent me a new 2310 unit at no cost to try to help… you can see the review on this forum. I must admit that they have bent over backward to try to help, their units just don’t work as advertised.

I am going to replace my LaCrosse ws2010 with a new and different company’s ws that works and does not need to be modified just to receive consistant data.

Once again, I will be depending on my fellow weather enthusists to guide me in the direction of a good ws. It certainly isn’t a LaCrosse.

Ok. I downloaded 9.37a the other day and installed. I went 3 days without a problem, but it returned today on the outdoor temp/hum. The thing I don’t understand. In log file: 122002ws2000log.txt, the temp & humidity readings look correct during the period of time that the graph is went flat line at 20degF, 88% hum. I look at 122002lg.txt and this file shows the incorrect temp values I see in the graph. I see from the date info that both of these files are being modified.

What is the difference between these files?

Based on the observation of the log files, I am thinking this is a software bug in wdisplay or an interaction with some other software running on my PC.

Yesterday, wdisplay appeared to be loosing data again. All day, temp and hum only, wind, indoor temp, baro were ok. I switched to the software I got with the Lacrosse computer interface, and it worked fine.

Looks to me like a wdisplay problem, but why am I the only one that has this issue? Are there no other Lacrosse WS2010 stations out there on win98se?

For other reasons, I am planning to upgrade to winXP during my holiday vacation. Maybe this is a wdisplay - win98 problem and the switch to winXP will improve the situation.

Hi kbp

No you are not the only one and you are correct there are issues with the LaCrosse weather station. Brian has been working hard for a couple of years on this station, but without having the hardware he can sometimes be shooting in the dark.

I too use this station with Win98SE and the combination can be very troublesome and frustrating.

Please be patient and Brian will help. You and I are not the only ones in this situation, just search the news group for LaCrosse and you will see, maybe your problem has already been discussed. Also, WD supports many stations and the WS2010 is not a particularly popular station.

Bob

I have a:
ws2010 LaCrosse station
wd ver 36a
1.8ghz pentium 4 computer
tons of Ram
running xp pro

I am not experiencing the problems you are currently having, but that is not to say it isn’t serious. I understand what you are going through when no one offers help, but at this juncture I have no help to give… if you have tried what I have suggested in the previous “post” and you are not generating good data, then I don’t know what else to suggest.

However, from time to time some of the wd digital data and some of the scales, graphs, and dials don’t match. It is inherent in a beta program like wd. At the moment, wd is the best thing going… other software programs don’t have someone like Brian trying his best of give those of us that use wd a fantastic piece of software.