Is it Just me?

Is it just me, or is weather display a big resource hog? I have noticed that when I have run this on my current dell 8250, my cpu load goes to 100% when I try to quit weather-display, it will start the progress bar to quit, but never goes anywhere… I usually have to control-alt-delete it to end the task. The system its running on is a P4 2.8 with 1 GB pc1066 RDram. I have tried this program on 2 other systems with the same result. I have turned off everything but the web-page update and metar download. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Zach

I have 1/4 the PC you have and I can run WD with most of the bells and whistles going…surf the net and download e-mail besides.
Jon

This is what I am running:
OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name S0028183503
System Manufacturer Gateway
System Model E-4000
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~2400 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Intel Corp. RG84510A.15A.0018.P08.0208171150, 8/17/2002
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINNT
System Directory C:\WINNT\System32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United Kingdom I find this odd, but it is there, UK, must have explain the need for drinking a lot of tea
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = “5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)”
User Name S0028183503\Owner
Time Zone Central Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 610.67 MB
Total Virtual Memory 3.40 GB
Available Virtual Memory 2.71 GB
Page File Space 2.40 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

add to that all of the xp stuff and norton firewall, norton antivirus, UPS software, external usb Iomega backup ( every 30 minutes of data files) and web cam. coupled that with the usual hardware and of course the weather station. and I have 2-8 % cpu usage during any upload or download .

So, no I don’t think it is the software at all. Did you do some tweaking of settings? or it just must be your system setup.

Now the 24chicken question, did you try any other software for comparison? :roll:

So I am guessing it is something within your system

Well, I would have thought it was my system, but this does the same on a PIII 800 and on an AMD system I have here. Perhaps it is just a setting Im setting on all of the systems. now this might be because Im a newbie to weather software, but not a newbie to computers. I love the software and want to run it… so much I bought it. just wish I could get this to run on any system without having my cpu run 100%.

Further info:

Dell - XP Pro
PIII - Windows 2000
AMD - Windows 98

That’s what I have tried so far. What could I be doing wrong.

Sorry Brian,

Suppose I must add my ha-penny’s worth too!
My AMD Athalon 320MB drags to a halt every thirty-six hours and needs to be re-booted.
I don’t know if its WxD - I’m too keen on keeping the web page up to date and not loose data so haven’t tried turning it off for 24 hours to test - I suppose tomorrow (Sunday) would be a good day to try.
Anyway A way back about six months ago I struck a good version that seemed to have knocked the ‘memory loss’ thing on the head. Since then successive versions seem to see it creeping back in again and as well seems to be doing the old MS trick of not allowing for back loading of previous versions without getting an invalid file error message!
I can live with it Brian - the software of Wxd is too good to loose!

I’ve not noticed the problem here either. I dual boot between Windows XP Pro and Windows 2000, and WD runs in both with no problem. CPU usage will spike to 100 percent for 5 or 10 seconds when WD writes the web files, then will drop down to a typical value of 2-4 percent. This with Zone Alarm, Norton AV and several other programs typically running at the same time.

Hello
I have also some troubles WD need about 54Mb see the gif under, is it normal???

Thanks for your help

Mines using up 51 MB Now (latest version)

I have a Dell 700 Mhz 384 megs RAM, XP Pro. Right now WD is using 66,284k. It doesn’t seem to slow the computer down at all. I was running it with 128 megs of RAM and I was having it freeze up about every 36 hours. Added 256Megs of RAM and WD hasn’t frozen since.

Ok.

On further digging into this problem, it seems to be when weather display is writing to a file. whether that is updating the webpage, or downloading metars. since i had the webpage updating every minute, weatherdisplay was at 100% cpu.

You need to put your weather station type in your profile. You also need to articulate what version of WD you are running. Without this information the statistics your giving will not be of much use. It could be that a few of you are using the same weather station type. It could be that you are using older versions of WD. Just for comparison I running WD on a 1GHZ AMD 512mb ram and at this moment its using 16,788K but it only been up for 23 hours. (power loss last night). Do you guys have the option turned on the minimize WD at night. This (somehow?) frees a TON of memory. The option is located here: Help > About. Just below the OK button there is a check box "minimize program daily to refresh memory use (3am).

As far as cpu usage I have a 1-wire system and the polling of the com port every second takes the cpu to 50-80% every second or so and then back down to 10%. My cpu usage monitor looks more like a heart monitor. I do not use a camera with weather display but use almost every other option in some way or another.

Im using an AAG 1-wire weather station and currently running 9.56d version of the software. I run the software minimized all the time down in the system tray.

Hey! Why didn’t someone tell me about the Memory Utilities on the Help/About Box earlier? - grhughes - thank you!

Instant fix on my PC resource drainage – From 15% resources available back to the ususal 55% available!

I presume if I tick the two boxes “Minimise Daily” and as well under Free Memory “Do this auto daily” my life is going to be a bed of roses!

Will report back after a couple of days.

what you fertilize roses with . :lol:

Hi zachserine
The dallas 1 wire temperature read (every 3 seconds (and progressievely slower for other temp sensors) does you a fairy bit of cpu use (as the 1 wire LAN needs to be kept alive for the 0.75 seconds that the temperature read is occuring), but i have improved that in the latest vers.
For weather stations other than the 1 wire, getting station data (i.e just updating the display), cpu use is about 0 to 3 %

but if you have web page updating, gifs being created , and especialy custom web page updating, then during that update it will use alot of cpu (hey there is alot going on), and doing that each minute will not give much break

stability:
i just has a report from a user of wd still going strong 60 days on a windows 2000 PC
as I say, windows 2000 is great.

memory use:
try a mimise to task bar ( with _ ) and you will see the memory use drop dramaticly in task manager…so its not a real memory leak, just windows video memory (maybe for wehn web cam catpure is in use?)

Brian,

Thanks for the reply. I am currently downloading the new version and have backed off web updates to 15 minutes… Will post if this fixes it.

Z

Hi Brian,

Today WD stopped working and the following was reported. I noticed that at the time MemTurbo showed a significant usages of available RAM leaving 0.5MB. Does this help?

WEATHERD caused an invalid page fault in
module MSVCRT.DLL at 017f:7800a711.
Registers:
EAX=00000000 CS=017f EIP=7800a711 EFLGS=00010246
EBX=%1!.08x! SS=%2!.04x! ESP=%3!.08x! EBP=%4!.08x!
ECX=%1!.08x! DS=%2!.04x! ESI=%3!.08x! FS=%4!.04x!
EDX=%1!.08x! ES=%2!.04x! EDI=%3!.08x! GS=%4!.04x!
Bytes at CS:EIP:
%1!.02x! %1!.02x! %1!.02x! %1!.02x! %1!.02x! %1!.02x! %1!.02x! %1!.02x! %1!.02x! %1!.02x! %1!.02x! %1!.02x! %1!.02x! %1!.02x! %1!.02x! %1!.02x!
Stack dump:
%1!.08x! %1!.08x! %1!.08x! %1!.08x! %1!.08x! %1!.08x! %1!.08x! %1!.08x! %1!.08x! %1!.08x! %1!.08x! %1!.08x! %1!.08x! %1!.08x! %1!.08x! %1!.08x!

Which version of MSVCRT.DLL do you have? The early ones were a POS.

Tom

is that with the same ini file/settings that you sent me earlier?
i will try out soon that configuation, just watching the americas cup…we are doing very well :slight_smile: