How to install WD on Linux

for the console version, download and install that from the download page and then setup the needed setings in the config.txt run the .sh file

After working with xandros I can’t get the GTK of the Qt working Even after finding all the necessary files it dies at line 27 with access violation Console looks likes the way to go.
Coyote

Coyote, thanks for trying. Console is next!

-Francis

Francis

I take it that you are using an Asus eeepc I also have one of these but tha Xandros Linux on this notebook is a bit limited (good but maybe not for WD), what you can do is put a version of Ubuntu on the eeepc this may cure your problems…https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EeePC

Steve

Steve,

Thanks for the Ubuntu suggestion. I may try that if I can’t get Wdconsole to work.

-Francis

Brian, I downloaded and installed the console version as you suggested. How much of the information in config.txt do I need to enter? I have a wunderground username and password but I know nothing about mysql or ftp. For the time being I didn’t change anything in config.txt.

I ran ./GoWdconsole.sh and got the following error:
./GoWdconsole.sh: line 27: 3233 Floating point exception$DIR_PATH/consolewd

Am I getting close?

This is my opinion you are close but, I think it has to do with the directory path. in the sh file.Its the same error I was getting.
Coyote
Coyote

that error will mean your libc version is too old
time for a better distro

I was looking into ways to update libC and/or the Linux distribution on my eeePC. Found a way to update from the Asus site. Now my PC doesn’t display the startup screen! I’m afraid I’m in troubleshooting mode until further notice. Any suggestions would be welcome.

-Francis

The distro has broken. I did that twice while testing Xandros. You are to have to reinstall.
I suggest to install Kubuntu for your machine or install on a usb hard drive and use your F10 to boot to it. It will take a little work to get it setup. well worth the time.
Coyote

Coyote, did you get Weather-Display working on Kubuntu? Can you direct me to more detailed instructions on how to install it on a USB drive as you suggested?

I was able to restore my Xandros distro from the DVD that came with the eeePC. I’m able to try something new.

-Francis

First download Kubuntu or Ubuntu Live cd and burn the iso and boot it on your pc. Hardy 8.04 if it runs you will be able to install it. Also a USB external hard drive would be the answer. Weather Display writes alot to the hard drive and would wear out your flash drive.
Start is up with the cd first and I will try to walk you through it.
Coyote

Coyote, I am downloading Kubuntu now. Hardy 8.04.1 version for Intel 386. I hope that is correct. Big download so I will have to come back later.

How big of a USB drive will I need? I may need a bigger one. The only one I have is 512 MB. Please advise.

-Francis

Do you have a cd or dvd drive?
Coyote

I have a DVD drive that can also read CDs. I’ve downloaded the iso on my Mac and I was planning to burn it to CD. Will that work?

-Francis

Yes that will work
Coyote

Coyote, I found that it would not fit on a CD even though only 691 MB. Had to burn it to a DVD. Tried unsuccessfully to boot from it on the eeePC. Not sure what I’m doing wrong. Don’t have time to fiddle more just now. Please let me know if you have suggestions and I’ll try again later.

-Francis

you would need to create a ISO image I would say

Its should been already been iso image when downloaded and should fit. Cds are 700mb. Also burn at slowest speed.Try again. From pass experience the cd iso wouldn’t let me burn on a dvd because is a cd format
Coyote

Turns out I wasn’t burning the iso image correctly. Here is a link others who use a Mac may find useful.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20060619181010389

There is also a way to do this using the command line in Terminal but using Disk Utility as in the above hint seems easier to me.