FTP hang?

Brian,
Not sure if this is a WD problem or not since I am on a new computer and modem. I have been watching this for a week and I think this is what is happening.

Whenever WD fails to connect due to ISP busy or whatever (not WD’s fault) and hangs up, the next scheduled dialup fails because “modem is in use” and I have to reboot to reset. The same happens whenever the metar download times out. Even if I then try a non-WD connection I get the same error, “modem in use” or words to that effect. I am going to increase metar download time and switch to 4.42 if it is still there, but wanted to pass this on. Currently using FTP 6.81.

does this happen if the line is busy?
I keep meaning to test this (by dialing the other phone in house with the phone off the hook)
I will make this a priority

Brian

I have just updated to v9.88b and had a similar problem. Gone back to 9.88a for now.

Bob

Sorry, Ignore this Brian. It related to the FTP class error that you have now fixed.

Bob

Brian,

I don’t know how they do it in NZ but you NEVER get a busy tone/line here. The network is busy often, that is they always answer but you can’t connect. This way, their adds can say, “no busy signals” and they aren’t technically telling a lie.

Jim

Brian,

I don’t know how they do it in NZ but you NEVER get a busy tone/line here. The network is busy often, that is they always answer but you can’t connect. This way, their adds can say, “no busy signals” and they aren’t technically telling a lie.

Jim

ah, ok, is that is what is happening
so, it answers, but does not connect
then what happens???

The ISP is doing that not WD. Has always been that way. Busy dial tones went out a couple years ago and the busy now comes after they answer.

What it appears the FTP is doing, is not quite releasing the modem. When the above happens or the metar/forecast server is slow and the FTP times out and hangs up, it appears as if the modem is not completely released because the next scheduled dialup gets a modem is busy or modem being used error and the scheduled FTP stops there. Also, if the metar download times out, instead of going on to the next item, it hangs up.
If the dialup is normal then there is no problem.

I was just saying before that you almost never get a busy signal anymore.

hum
ok, so its on the overall time out that its not doing a proper hangup (but mainly for the metar or ftp download?)

i have added where you can force a hangup (its uses hangup.exe) at certain time
try that…setting a time there

Brian,
I had a faulty modem that would do what he’s describing! I had to down load a patch for it.

Best,

Ed

jim, do you think that might be the case?
maybe worth looking into?

Anything is possible, but the whole computer is two weeks old and works otherwise. I’ve shut down the metar and forecast to see if it helps.
Jim

ah, i thought it might have been your new PC

so, now, its defintaly the overall time out after a ftp or metar download then?
(and that is with the ftp verison that ships with wd?)

Yes, a new Dell. :slight_smile: I shut down the Metar/forecast downloads and it has been running smooth for a few hours now. I have not had any problems with my ISP (Earthlink for next 6 months) being busy, though either. It sure sounds something like the problem we had in the past with hang ups after Metar times out. I have been playing with the timers too.

Since I’ve been watching real closely, I’ve noticed a couple little qirks that aren’t much of a problem, just qirks. Everynow and then, the sky condition in my last metar download shows up in the summary :?: . Also, cannot get the cam shot on the summary either. Everything appears to be selected correctly (or not selected).

Yes, it’s the stock FTP. Haven’t switched yet.

there is an option to use the sky conditions from the metar

i have just noticed my web cam is not showing on my summary image either, when it was before
darn, i must have broke it
(probably by shifting some lines of code)
i will 2 nite after milking dem cows (and attending to sick calves (we have had an outbreak of a virus giving them scours (diahearea)

I understand outbreaks, Brian. We are in the middle of a West Nile virus outbreak that’s got everyone afraid to go out at night. Over 1000 cases in Colorado alone, half in the last two weeks. People are dying from this thing. 1% are paralized permanently too. Last summer it was fires, now this!

I haven’t selected the use metar sky conditions, never have. It just pops in once in a while and it seems as if it does it when it’s raining, but might just be coincidence. Since I am not currently downloading a metars, I should just delete the last file.

....i have just noticed my web cam is not showing on my summary image either, when it was before darn, i must have broke it
Hi All,,

The web cam has not displayed on my summary image for some time. I did get it to display on the summary image as a separate image. I have not tried it lately though.

The METAR conditions display good except sometimes when the word

Brian,
Note my comment in Questions. I have messed with this FTP so much now it will not hang up. I get an error, “This Property Can Only Be Sent Before Establishing a Connection” and hangs the phone line open because the FTP doesn’t drop. Was open 9 hrs when I got up this AM.

I suspect I did something in the WML setup and shut it off, but no joy. I also looked through the wdisplayftp.ini and didn’t see anything my untrained eye would suspect. Can I somehow delete that file and let WD create another. Then I’ll leave things alone and go do something else!
Thanks,