FTP bug with missing file when uploading

I am using the internal FTP client in WD 9.78a. I have discovered that it gets very upset if a file that it was expecting in the “General FTP Functions” menu (which is what I use to do my uploading) is missing from the upload directory. The FTP client then fails to close and the next time that it runs it opens another copy of it. Pretty soon, you have dozens of copies open and no system resources left! It seems to me that if a file is missing, it should simply skip over it, continue on, and then exit normally when it is done.

Tom

It’s still doing it in 9.79… Any idea how I can fix this or at least figure out what file(s) are causing it? It’s a major problem for me right now.

Thanks!

Tom

I am using the internal FTP client in WD 9.78a. I have discovered that it gets very upset if a file that it was expecting in the "General FTP Functions" menu (which is what I use to do my uploading) is missing from the upload directory. The FTP client then fails to close and the next time that it runs it opens another copy of it. Pretty soon, you have dozens of copies open and no system resources left! It seems to me that if a file is missing, it should simply skip over it, continue on, and then exit normally when it is done.

Tom

Hi Brian,

Is there at least a way that I can determine on what file or files the internal FTP client is hanging? On the older versions there used to be the ability to open the FTP client and see the status of what it was doing, but that does not seem to be possible in the later versions, or at least I have not found the way to do so.

Thanks!

Tom

Hi Tom
yes, if you have ftp logging ticked, under connections, then it will log to the file ftplogfull.txt

now, you should only be using the general ftp to upload to a second server or to upload non wd files

the other thing to check:
that you have equal number of local and remote file names in the list boxes…
and that the files , local files, actualy exist…
otherwise, i thought i had the ftp program more robust than that with regard to missing files…

Hmmm… Maybe I have been doing this wrong since day one though it has worked for me the last 18 months… I use the General FTP function to upload my web file to the Weatherusa.net site which is where I host my weather web page. Is there some other place that I should have been doing this instead and if so, where and how.

I had FTP logging turned off so I turned it back on and will try to see where it is failing. I do have the same number of files in both local and remote, and with the same names.

I’ll lket you know what the log file says…

Thanks!
Tom

Hi Tom yes, if you have ftp logging ticked, under connections, then it will log to the file ftplogfull.txt

now, you should only be using the general ftp to upload to a second server or to upload non wd files

the other thing to check:
that you have equal number of local and remote file names in the list boxes…
and that the files , local files, actualy exist…
otherwise, i thought i had the ftp program more robust than that with regard to missing files…

Ok, after turning on logging and checking the log file after an upload, I found the missing file that was causing the problem. What would happen is that the FTP client would get to the missing file and then go in to a continuous loop of the missing file as it attempted to try and send it. It would then just hang at that point forever, putting entry after entry in the log file as it tried to send the missing file.

So, I deleted the offending entry and that fixed it, but it would still be a good idea to modify the internal FTP client code so that it can’t hang like that if a file is missing, it should just skip over it and go on.

Tom

Hi
the other thing about the general ftp is that wd does not actualy update those files, it just uploads them
try turning off the general ftp, as a test and see if the web files are uploaded
also, when you say the client internal ftp, i am not sure excatly what you are refereing to
WD does have a internal ftp, for real time ftp uploads…instead of using the ftpupd.exe program
it is used for the clientraw.txt upload every 3 seconds, or the java dials upload or the java web cam upload…but thats all

When I said internal FTP client, I was referring to the “General FTP Function” built in to WD. I don’t understand how the files would get uploaded to the host server if I was to turn this off… Am I missing something?

I’m sure I am not doing any of this optimally since, among other things, I have to manually add the previous months file to the upload queue each month and there has to be a way to automate that, but it is not immediately clear to me the better wsy to do it…

Thanks!

Tom

Hi the other thing about the general ftp is that wd does not actualy update those files, it just uploads them try turning off the general ftp, as a test and see if the web files are uploaded also, when you say the client internal ftp, i am not sure excatly what you are refereing to WD does have a internal ftp, for real time ftp uploads...instead of using the ftpupd.exe program it is used for the clientraw.txt upload every 3 seconds, or the java dials upload or the java web cam upload...but thats all

export and email me your wdisplayftp.ini file from the registry tom
you should not have to use the general ftp for wd files (unless you want to ftp to a 2nd ftp server those files, or even a 3rd ftp server)