Νew La-crosse ws 2800 - ws 2810

Yes you have it right. WD uses history file generated by Heavy weather program. I haven’t tried running the Heavy weather in wine yet but i suspect it will have a problem because it won’t be able to read the usb dongle. I’m going to lsusb to see if i see anything.

I’m new to the board, just purchased the LaCrosse 2810 from Costco for $79.99. Thornestation thanks for your posting, this was the only way I could get the data to download into Weather Display.

ws 2810 - costco - $80… (snarf)

no success getting the USB/HID interface to work under linux/wine.

Got heavy weather pro to load under wine, although some functions do not appear to currently work, but that may be an issue
caused by the inability to find USB connection. Hotplug on linux picks up /dev/usb/hiddev0 180,0
tried mapping ~/.wine/dosdevices/com0 to all of
/dev/usb/hiddev0 180,0 and using mknod to try /dev/usb/hiddev0 180,96-111, nada.
(reference http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au/lxr/source/Documentation/usb/hiddev.txt)

winedbg gives:

linux-lwa7:~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/HeavyWeatherWV5> winedbg ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/HeavyWeatherWV5/HeavyWeather.exe
fixme:advapi:SetEntriesInAclA 1 0xffdbf0 (nil) 0xffdc18
fixme:hid:HidD_GetFeature (0xffffffff 0x1afe110 10) stub
WineDbg starting on pid 0021
0x7b87943a: movl %esi,0x0(%esp)
Wine-dbg>

lsusb output:
Bus 005 Device 008: ID 6666:5555 Prototype product Vendor ID
Device Descriptor:
bLength 18
bDescriptorType 1
bcdUSB 2.00
bDeviceClass 3 Human Interface Device
bDeviceSubClass 0 No Subclass
bDeviceProtocol 255
bMaxPacketSize0 64
idVendor 0x6666 Prototype product Vendor ID
idProduct 0x5555
bcdDevice 1.00
iManufacturer 1 LA CROSSE TECHNOLOGY
iProduct 2 Weather Direct Light Wireless Device
iSerial 3 0123456
bNumConfigurations 1
Configuration Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 2
wTotalLength 34
bNumInterfaces 1
bConfigurationValue 1
iConfiguration 0
bmAttributes 0x80
(Bus Powered)
MaxPower 30mA
Interface Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 4
bInterfaceNumber 0
bAlternateSetting 0
bNumEndpoints 1
bInterfaceClass 3 Human Interface Device
bInterfaceSubClass 0 No Subclass
bInterfaceProtocol 0 None
iInterface 0
HID Device Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 33
bcdHID 1.11
bCountryCode 0 Not supported
bNumDescriptors 1
bDescriptorType 34 Report
wDescriptorLength 617
Report Descriptors:
** UNAVAILABLE **
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x81 EP 1 IN
bmAttributes 3
Transfer Type Interrupt
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0040 1x 64 bytes
bInterval 32
Device Status: 0x0100
(Bus Powered)

could it simply be that wine refuses to map usb or am I simply an idiot for chucking $80?

I am thinking of buying a WS2810. Can anyone with a 2810 let me know how close/far the base unit has to be to the computer for the USB communications to work properly. I saw some posts that indicate that it is a bluetooth connection?

Specifications:

* Indoor temperature range : -40

Thornestation, Thanks for the reply. Don’t know if there is anyone out there with a 2810 than can provide any info on the range of the USB communications based on practical advice. Would also be interested in practical experience on the range from the sensors to the base unit.

According the FCC’s site the USB link is a 900 MHz system, not bluetooth. See FCC ID OMO-USB. Based on the pictures it’s a relatively simple device.

I find that when I synchronize the base with the USB that they have to be within a few feet of each other. I have the USB device on a powered hub suspended about 6 feet in the air. The base unit is located about 35 feet away up one floor and mounted on a wall. Signal seems to be stable with this arrangement. :slight_smile:

Thanks, That was the real world info I was after. That range would suit me as my PC is in a study downstairs and I would like to have the base unit upstairs about 20-30 feet away.

I just set up the ws-2810. It is running fine with the 5 minute update configuration I used to use with the 2310 data-logger. However, I want to take advantage of the 1 minute update times I’m getting from Heavy Weather. I’ve tried setting the selection for 1 minute update of clientraw.txt using the wd configuration program. It doesn’t seem to work. I’m still getting just 5 minute updates. Does anyone have any suggestions, I’m running ver 10.37q build 2 and wdl v6.05.

are you refering to FTP upload rate of the clientraw.txt file?
its not very clear

are you using the history.dat file or currdat.lst file as the data source for WD?

Folks,
I have been following things here for a while. I purchased the WS 2810 from
Costco the other day, and after a bit of fiddling with the beast I got it displaying
all of the data on the unit console.

I have downloaded WD 10.37L build 38. I installed it and can run it. I have gone
through the setup wizard, but see nothing about the WS 2810. I have also moved
the currdat.lst file into the wd directory.

I am running Ubuntu 10.04
I see that when the USB dongle is installed it shows under /dev/usb the following
two files
hiddev0 hiddev1
So I know that it is seeing the device. The only options I get for the La Crosse
devices are WS 23xx and the WS 36xx. I have seen some comments showing
a screen that indicates the WS 28xx is viable indeed I saw one copy of a WD
setup screen showing the selection of the currdat.lst, but see none of that in
my install.

Any guidance here, I would like to get it going so I can add some $$ to the
kitty…

I think that once I have it capturing data I will need to go in and do some
tweeks with the screen, I see some complaints in the console screen when
I run it but I believe that most of those are due to the fact that it is trying to
open a serial port which does not exist.

I have also moved the currdat.lst file into the wd directory.
How did you move the file ? It is written to every minute by the WV5Communication service and I can't see away of telling it to use a different location for the file other than the location it is installed to "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data"

I have the WS-2308 (which is exactly the same electronics/circuitry as the WS-2800 only a different console look and the anemometer might look different) and it is wireless.

I was never able to get it to load under Linux. Windows it runs fine. I will not use Heavy Weather software as prefer the WD software.

As for setting it up in WD, simply choose WS-2300. All the same innards.

For wireless operation, I am approximately 10 feet from the Thermo-Hygro sensor / rain bucket. I always received my information but run wired now due to me being an amateur radio operator and when I key up my radios it freaks the entire station out badly. I used to have to shut it down in order to transmit. With iot being wired, it is not so interfered with.

I am wired to the computer from the console to the computer by a USB serial converter. That is approximately 8 feet from the computer. The LaCrosse, I would categorize, as a very low end alternative to a much better system. I can say, through experience, that you will have issues with it during heavy rain or mist. Not very waterproof without some serious alterations. Recommend you read through this forum and look for “improvements” and follow them as it will help.

That is my 2.5 cents… for what it is worth.

Hi
I have a Lacrosse 2800 IT here now (wireless station)
with the USB stick dongle that gets the data from the console

I am able to get the raw data stream from the HID USB device
but I am not sure how to decode it …yet…

Thanks for the update Brian, for the low end first user it may be a good starter. Only after 4 years of operation in 1500mm rain per year, did it finally decide the anemometer that is, that it only worked now in fine weather. A friend had a spare so I was away again… The hygro after 3 years needed a dry out for high humidity flat lined it for any comms. Got a replacement, dried it out now for a spare. Still a cheap station giving me plenty of good data and pleasure!!

really hard to know how the data is being imbedded in the data stream
15 bytes 01 15 00 00 0C A2 3F 53 00 00 00 00 FF 15 0B
15 bytes 01 0B 00 E7 00 00 3F 53 00 00 00 00 FF 01 01
15 bytes 01 15 00 57 02 2F 3F 53 00 00 00 00 FF 15 0B
15 bytes 01 15 00 57 03 5F 3F 53 00 00 00 00 FF 15 0A

15 bytes 01 15 00 00 0C 0E 3F 53 00 00 00 00 FF 15 0B
15 bytes 01 00 00 E7 00 00 3F 53 00 00 00 00 FF 28 00
15 bytes 01 0B 00 E7 00 00 3F 53 00 00 00 00 FF 01 14
15 bytes 01 15 00 57 02 92 3F 53 00 00 00 00 FF 15 0B

there is only about 4 or 6 bits of data that change much

I thought that bytes of zeroes followed by FF was often a comms signal to start comms or something, like the end of a packet with space. I dunno, baro would stay sort of steady, UV = 0, but there does not appear to be a time signature anywhere…

I thought La Crosse only produced versions of the WS 2800 series for the northern hemisphere (e.g. wind sensor solar panels must face south, moon phase display etc). Was wondering how you managed to get it running in New Zealand.

well you can set a wind direction offset in WD to get around that problem :slight_smile:
and WD provides the moon phase info separate from the station