Dont know if it counts - Satellite image

Hi Niko

Getting hold of the 4 inch orange waste pipe that the copper pipes go through and the end caps - none of plumbers merchants would sell me any in less then three metre lengths (

Thanks for the info. I imagine it wasn’t a local design :frowning:

I used this design as I wanted it to be as weatherproof as possible http://abdallah.hiof.no/QFH/index.html

Having read up on them they can be made just using timber/plastic pipe and coax - my understanding is that the measurements are not critical - i did see one design that can be collapsed and transported in a bag

Phil, the measurements being “off” a bit will impact the efficiency of the receiving antenna. A transceiver/transmitter is looking for a 50-ohm impedance at the feedpoint. The lengths of the element(s) being off can raise or lower the impedance enough to cause problems…in some situations enough so that it could damage a transmitting radio. A receiver that isn’t pushing power down the coax to an antenna but is rather passively receiving a signal will not be damaged by an antenna that is cut too long or too short…but, it’s “hearing” ability will be compromised. Remember “rabbit ears” for the television? Instructions normally stated to shortened the elements for the higher channel (frequency) numbers and to lengthen the elements for the lower channel (frequency) numbers.

Will being off a bit in element length greatly affect satellite reception…probably not, but… :dontknow:

Ed

interesting stuff Ed - I made my QFH as per the instructions including rolling the copper pipes so the measurements were right.

Thanks for the info - I am just amazed that it works as it does :slight_smile:

Phil

@Ed - Checked my hive today and the queen is starting to lay up thankfully so it looks as my last hive is going to survive #-o

Isn’t it fun when some of our tinkering ends up working actually better than we thought it would! :slight_smile:

Great news on your queen!!! I hope she packs the house for you! :wink:

Ed