Daily sunshine hours

There seems to be a bug in WD’s display of the daily sunshine hours.
It is clear and sunny here today and this is what it is saying as of 14:00:

Current 123.1 hours of sunshine today, current sky: Mainly cloudy
Sunshine hours for the year: 5146.8 hrs Sunshine hours for the month: 215.6 hrs

123 hours for the day:
it would seem that this number has not reset i would say (it does at 1 minute past midnight…was the pc running then?

the statement about being cloudy:
that is determined by your settings under setup, solar setup, and the thresholds you have set there based on the solar reading (ie the maximum and minimum readings you expect for bright sunshine, and the breakdown of % ranges

HI Brian

I know you posted about the update that calculates the maximium solar radiation based on the time of day. Is there anyway the adjust that number based on the input in mv from the Jim Jennings solar sensor. When I tick “update the max solar value from the this max solar readingfor lat/long” my solar percentage is waaaaaaaaay low because the max reading from Jim’s sensor is never about 250 mv ?? I guess what I’m asking is there someway we could plug in the max mv from the solar sensor and then it would convert that reading to a percent of the solar max radiation for a given hour and a given lat/long. Rigth now the reading is 130 mv equating to 87 %, but if I tick the “update the max solar” block it will only read about 10 %. I guess what I really need is a good solar radiation sensor that will read “watts per square foot”, I think the measure is.

Hope this makes sense. :?

Keep up the GREAT work and take a break from the updates for a while.

Thanks

Cheers :smiley:

MikeyM

hi
yes…we need to convert the voltage reading to wm/2 first…
there must be a direct converison equation
maybe Jim knows it?

then it will be good

Clear day, full sun close to overhead at noon = about 1000 watts/sq meter as I recall.

Considering that sensor has a very small area diode, under an inefficient diffuser, in a not very linear configuration, you might want to just take the highest reading you have ever seen, consider that to be 1000 watts/sq meter and calibrate accordingly.

You could probably replace the photodiode with a small solar cell operating in current mode and get a better result.

oops, tom, i did have that working, then stuffed uit up
its now working ok, in testing
i will upload the fix now

9.88b is ok now tom for the maximum solar reading for the time of day :slight_smile:
this should be a great improvement for sunshine hours from the solar reading (wm2 reading, and if we can convert the 1 wire voltage reading to wm2 directly, that will be good too)

Hi Brian

Yes, the solar radiation for the time of day looks good. Now I need to figure someway to convert the max mv reading to correspond to the w/m2 or get a real radiation sensor. I’m sitting here watching the max radiation for date/lat changing by the minute on the solar sensor setup page. As always GOOD work !! :smiley: :slight_smile: 8)

SLOW down a little and take it easy. Hope all is well with the family and the farm.

Winter will be back in northeast PA soon and I should be working on getting the rain gauge heated. All good things take time. Ha Ha

Cheers

MikeyM

Could we just input the max mv for noon on a clear day and come up with a number to multiply the mv by to get w/m2.

Such as the highest reading on a clear day is 200mv and the w/m2 for that day 1200 giving a multipication of 6. Therefore if the reading earlier in the day was 100, then the equivilent w/m2 would be 600 and that could be compared with the amount of w/m2 computed by WD and that would give an equivalent % of sunshine. Now that I said all that, I’m not sure what a said, but at one point it made sense.

OH well just a thought and I know the real answer is to get a solar radiation sensor. :?

Cheers

MikeyM

thats like a goer
i,.e it will be a straight conversion factor
i will add where you can fine tune that

HI Brian

That’s not a request, just a thought I had. Put it waaaaaaaaaaaay down your wish list and relax.

:smiley: :slight_smile: 8)

Cheers

MikeyM

i have added this, in theroy should work, keep any eye out for it in the next version (in the solar setup, down near the bottom)

Hi Brian,

No, my PC is not normally running at midnight since it is temporarily in my bedroom. Perhaps we need to write a file that WD can check to determine if the reset was done at midnight for machines that are off during that time…

On a different note, the solar level calculation based on the time and latitude/longitude now seems to be working correctly. Thanks!

Regards,
Tom

123 hours for the day: it would seem that this number has not reset i would say (it does at 1 minute past midnight...was the pc running then?

the statement about being cloudy:
that is determined by your settings under setup, solar setup, and the thresholds you have set there based on the solar reading (ie the maximum and minimum readings you expect for bright sunshine, and the breakdown of % ranges

mikey, try a new 9.88d now
tom, ahh, so thats why you use the download from the data logger, and rely on that, so much
when the time from the download gets to midngith, wd should then reset the daily values at that point in time

Hi Brian

This started happening about 2 days ago - either 988b or 988d. Actually, I think it started with 988d. I’m on the “road” til Fri so I can’t try 989 til I get back home. Yesterday’s graph was the same with a break or no data from about 6 pm til 6 am. I wish I was home so I could untick "used 1-wire for the solar calculation, that you added for the 1-wire solar. Wonder, if anyone is having a similiar problem. Actually I’ll check the forum before I send this.

http://home.ptd.net/~mikeym/extrarealtimegraph.gif

Thanks

Cheers
MikeyM