Daily reset at midnight still not fixed

Alas! The daily reset still doesn’t work correctly even though it was said to be fixed a while ago :frowning: Also there still seems to be a problem with WD extracting rainfall-data from the datalogger.If it started raining whilst WD wasn’t running it simply doesn’t take this rainfall into account.In short the startup-shutdown routine of WD still needs some serious work…( I also noticed that I get a month-record for april 31st the other day , something seems to be wrong there also…

Weather display 9.73a
Davis vantage pro with rev b datalogger
windows 2000 pro

Hi

i have not got around to re looking at this…I will look again soon…promise!
I might have to get a VP…

I have been busy these last few days supporting a weather station thats available in germany that some people have been waiting a year for me to support…
so i had to purchase one…
nearly got it working all correct
(ELV Funk Ws2500 PC)

Hi,

I

Alas! The daily reset still doesn't work correctly even though it was said to be fixed a while ago :( Also there still seems to be a problem with WD extracting rainfall-data from the datalogger.If it started raining whilst WD wasn't running it simply doesn't take this rainfall into account.In short the startup-shutdown routine of WD still needs some serious work....( I also noticed that I get a month-record for april 31st the other day , something seems to be wrong there also.....

Weather display 9.73a
Davis vantage pro with rev b datalogger
windows 2000 pro

You’re mixing three separate problems into the same message…

The midnight rain reset works great for me but I have an Ultimeter and so it may be a problem specific to your Davis VP and datalogger. Same for the data extraction issue.

The WD startup/shutdown seems to be working fine for me. There’s an issue with trying to run new versions (and client/server is enabled) without first configuring Zone Alarm for the new version.

first of all : I don’t use zonealarm :wink:
second : it’s not a problem with the davis console ( if this were the case , it wouldn’t work with weatherlink , anyone remember using that one :stuck_out_tongue: , either )
I think I have discovered one reason why the averages/extremes doesn’t work properly sometimes though : I was looking at the logfile and discovered a strange thing : it skipped a minute or rather used the ame time twice : something like this :
22:55
22:56
22:57
22:58
23:59
23:00
Of course this would mean you’d have 2 entries which said 23 59 hence two entries in the averages / extremes page for one day :
etc. I’m sure this has something to do with the 24 hour - system ( rather then being a serious bug ) . When I edited the logfile and corrected the false entry ( i.e. changed the 23 59 to 22 59 ) all was fine. This does however not explain why the rain data - extraction goes awry , even if you save/exit from wd for just a few minutes and it happens to rain in the interval , wd doesn’t take this rainfall into account and you have to manually correct the rainfall …this mustbe solved though , otherwise the records page and the averages/extremes pages will be totally wrong ( it would mean a massive editing job to manually correct these data for a whole month !! ) . I must say in defence of Brian : the davis vantage pro is notorious for being hard to write a weatherstation-program for :slight_smile:

Another strange thing has happened recently with WD 9.73a : it doesn’t dial-up automatically anymore even though all the settings in the ftp/settings / connections haven’t changed one bit …I gave ftp-update server rights in mcafee -firewall ( allow his program to communicate anyway it wants ! ) but still no automatic dial-up . Anyone who has encountered the same problem , please advice …

ahh haa, that is the clue for the log file time staming when extracting data from the vp over the midnight period

I can fix.
I have the technology.
I have the means…
blah blah blah!

Nic B:
check your log file time stamps for the times it is not doing the daily reset
i.e for this month its 42003lg.txt, in the folder logfiles.

and look for any missing minutes

(boy the end of the month is coming up fast, I better do a roll over test I promised I would do…I have been busy supporting a new station and a dalls 1 wire barometer (and that keeps putting holes in my own data :frowning: )

ok, i have put a check in for this rikews
uploading a new vers now
and i made a tweak to the rain from the data extract routine

All is well :smiley:

I found out what the problem was with the automatic dial-up also : for all those who are using mcafee firewall , you have to give all .exe files in the WD - folder full allowance to communicate and you have to dial in manually the first time you’ve installed a new version of WD and do a test of all the send/receive options i.e. : metar downloads, uploads to wunderground /aprs etc.
After you’ve done that it does dial up automatically ! As for the missing hours /minutes ,it doesn’t really miss any minutes it just gets the hour wrong ( instead of going from 22 58 to 22 59 and 23 00 it says 22 58 to 23 59 to 23 00 , in other words : the data for 22 59 is correct it just says it’s 23 59 ! ). By the way I’m missing a complete day as well ( the 16th of april ) , I wonder what in god’s name could cause something like that ! ( no power-outage or something like that , because I’ve taking my precautions for such an event and the data was in the datalogger in any case ,or at least I can read it off the console )…Do you have any idea warmest night for this month can read 31st of april and -50 centigrade , brian ? :slight_smile: I thought i lived on the north-pole for a minute :wink:

the missing time in the log file was for NicB to check for

i have put a check for this wrong hour now, that you have found rikews,in a new 9.74 uploading now

so often people blame WD when its a firewall or similar issue
:slight_smile:

try a new 9.74 ready now Rikews

humm, i still dont have this correct rikews
reviewing again

No, I tried to restart the new WD after midnight on purpose to see what would happen :slight_smile: It seems it simply goes from 23 30 straight to 0 00 and skips all the data in between those times …

I’ve checked my log files and at every hour that I have set a reset and the times are contiguous (IE data logged every minute)

And last night I upgraded to 9.74 and waited for a midnight reset. Didn’t happen.

So

i would say that will be the trick

I’d agree with this solution , were it not for the fact that I’ve had this problem with the main internet switch turned off as well :wink:

So I think this little trick isn’t the solution…Last night I ran 9.74 with the main internet switch in the off - position ; I then did a safe and exit and started it again ( on purpose ) after midnight to see if the daily reset would occur as it should and if the data for 28th of april would be in the averages / extremes page : it was a no go . Like I said it went from 23 30 straight to 0 00 in the logfile which means it totally missed the entry for 23 59 ( result no entry in the averages extremes page on the upper right window ) . I’m now gonna see if things have changed with the 9.74a version I have running now , but since I haven’t heard as of yet of a fix for this issue , I gather it will be the same result as yesterday :frowning:

cheers

Rik

there are 2 issues here
rik, your issue is becuase it looks like the data logger sets the hour ahead at minute 59 instead of at the hour minute 0
i dont have a VP, so its hard to fix

I agree with you on that , but one thing still eludes me : why does it do that ONLY at the times I mentioned i.e. from 22 58 to 23 59 to 23 00 and not at any other time? If it were a problem with the datalogger I would have the same problem for every hour and that’s not the case…

cheers

rik

hi
try a new 9.74a download…i have done some changes, thanks rikews

it would be great if Davis would send me a VP with UV/solar
I mean, lots of people use WD and the VP and data logger, and I would say VP sales have been helped by that combo, so its in there best interest.
Maybe if every WD/VP sent a email to davis with suggestion?

Am pleased to report that deleting the 00:00 file update time for all the web files has meant that the midnight reset worked successfully. :slight_smile:

So, it looks like WD is pushing my aging server hardware (Dual Pentium Pro 200Mhz Compaq Proliant 800R) to its limits. I will have a look at performance optimisation of WD and report my findings back to the chatter forum.

-Nic

No change with WD 9.74a Brian . It still skips 23 59 . It goew from 23 30 straight to 0 00 so yesterdays data is , or rather was , missing from the averages/extremes window.Isn’t there some kind of script or routine you could write so WD would automatically use the data 0 00 and copy it to the day before 23 59 ( after all how much change occurs in one minute ? ) . What I mean : what I do now is copy the line from 0 00 and change the date and the hour to 23 59…

cheers

rik

P.S. : this would also prevent the loss of complete days in the averages/extremes data as it would be an automatic routine.