$70 IS WAY TOO EXPENSIVE

Interesting thread… let me just add my opinion:

1. Cumulus is not free - it is donationware - the fundamental problem is that people like you dont understand what that means…
  2. Yes, WD is 70 dollars and your software is only 99 cents, but taking into account the fact that based on what I read on your site about it, it can do less than 1/70th of what WD can do, your SW is actually damn expensive
  3. If you think there are much cheaper alternatives, why do you complain here

For me, 70 dollars is also quite a lot and I cant afford it right now. But… that doesnt mean I think the price is not reasonable. There are many things that are over one

In other words,

my guess is you might have put about 200 times less time into development and support and other things associated with the app (web etc.)
Your app is 70 times cheaper than WD.

Which one is more expensive?

well i worked at Microsoft so i guess windows should cost a million dollars? I don’t follow that. They’ve spent 20+ years on that with millions of lines of code.

worthless app? that’s uncalled for. I spent 1 year making that. No other app can give you all that for 99 cents. You guys are brutal.

Just FYI i almost bought this program today, but with a ‘welcoming committee’ such as this i’m gone. Congrats on your mob mentality driving away a prospective buyer, you win!

If people like you work at Microsoft with this same attitude then no wonder Microsoft is where it is…

And I don’t think I am brutal I am just honest

So if you walk into a bar and immediately shout “the beer in this place sucks” you expect a warm and friendly welcome :?

=D>

PERFECT! Well said.

I really dont think Brian will lose any sleep over you not buying, you have probably done him and
all of us a favour, i can well imagine what your support posts would be like :confused:

Other than the $70 I paid donkey’s years ago, I have felt the constant upgrading had a value for me. I don’t like saying this as being immodest, but I have sent Brian on two occasions a donation, the last one when Brian lost a lot of code through a HDD failure, and I was far from alone; so did many others. These contributions enabled him to purchase the necessary to recover and, in one year, to advance from build 81 to build 277, with the help of numerous volunteer beta testers.

Now, you seem to have written an app which has been described by others as ‘useless’. This seems to indicate that you have, at least, a modicum of knowledge of code, even if it took you a year. Why the heck don’t you write an app to do the publishing to CWOP? You must be clever enough to do this. Or maybe, in the next six months or so, you can write the software that has all the functionality of WD that you can then sell for $35 or even less.

People like you, corepuncher, make me sick!

What the hell, I didn’t say it sucked, I said it’s too expensive!

Well I just figured out the VIS reader that this program uses will do what I need on it’s own anyway, interesting that none of you *kind gentlemen" here knew that.

Thanks Devil that sounds like a plan!

Over and out

Promise? 8O 8O 8O

Nailed it! :D/ :D/ :D/

This topic should probably be closed.

What corepuncher failed to say is that VIS Reader is subscription based. You can NOT buy the program but have to pay a yearly fee to continue to use it. Not sure what the fee is as they don’t tell you it is subscription based until after you install it.

well, you are using vis reader if you have an acurite anyway, so you only need a sub to upload to cwop, but it’s just $1 per month. I agree close this thread otherwise i’ll keep coming back :lol:

Sorry, I don’t use (or want to use) an acurite. I have a Davis. At least WD can support MANY brands of weather hardware and can run on many different OS’s. It is not limited to one single OS and one weather station brand. So lets see, over about 10 years I have WD running on a half dozen computers used with 4 different weather stations. I could have spent $1 per month or $120 over the 10 years or $70. Doh, guess I wouldn’t have spent $120 because I’ve only ever used an acurite one time, it broke in a little less than 2 years so I got something a lot better, been in use for close to 5 years now.

And it can get even worse… how about 400 dollars/yr…

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=26075.0

I have the Davis Vantage vue and one of the sensors has gone out again, the 2nd time in 2 years that I’ve owned it. Last time I had to pay $150 to get it fixed plus shipping and had to be without it for almost a month. This time I paid $140 for the entire Acurite (with free shipping), with the USB cable. Davis charges like another $70 extra for that. Davis also charges extra if you want to publish to their app something like $25/yr or maybe it was more. Also I feel it’s easier to get a hold of them for tech support and they are very friendly.

So I thought I would give the acurite a try. Keep in mind the WD software also uses VIS Reader, so it’s not programmed to read from the acurite directly as many of you are assuming.

So far the Acurite seems ok. One thing I don’t like about it so far is you cannot adjust the barometric pressure directly, it supposedly has it’s own self learning mode that can take up to 2 weeks. So in the mean time my pressure readings are off.

I believe the Acurite has a 18 second update interval for wind speed, 30 seconds for direction, temp/humidy 36 seconds , whereas the davis can update the wind speed/direction at 2.5 sec intervals, 10 seconds for temp/humidity, 20 seconds for rainfall/rain rate and 1 minute for barometric pressure, so Davis is faster at updating.

The color console is nice but is very limited in what it can display compared to the Davis, but I always used software anyway.

Now I will just have to wait and see how long it lasts before something breaks. I can always get my Davis fixed again if it turns out to be crap.

Which options do you have from VIS? Looks like fast data updates and publishing to CWOP etc. are both additional subscriptions.

I always wondered how that ‘adjusting to average’ barometric pressure thing works…