7.1 Strong earthquake in Christchurch

I just happened to see the following web page on the Quake Catcher Network website. You guys in NZ might want to signup if you haven’t already.

Rapid Aftershock Mobilization Program (RAMP)
http://qcn.stanford.edu/ramp/

That is interesting Harry - it looks like many people have taken up that offer in Christchurch judging by that map!

Great link

Yep - I applied & got an email saying they had been overwhelmed with offers !!!

Yes, I noticed that there are already a lot of people participating also, but this is one of those cases where more is better.

One reason they are getting overwhelmed with offers right now is probably due to the following article that appeared on CNN’s website today.

Your computer as an earthquake sensor

Harry - AFAIK our own national Geo-Net Organisation - GNS Science, requested them and advertised publicly requesting volunteers to assist so that a bulk delivery could be made and managed in a scientific approach. They themselves

GNS scientists, together with colleagues from universities and overseas agencies, have mounted multi-disciplinary investigations into the Darfield earthquake. GNS Science thanks everyone for this support as we work together to gather valuable information on the earthquake and its aftermath.
Scientists are approaching Christchurch home-owners asking if they are prepared to host a miniature seismometer in their house to record aftershocks.

During the next week they hope to install up to 200 of the earthquake sensors in a project that will collect important information about variation in the strength of ground-shaking across the city.

Information gathered by the instruments will help in calibrating engineering standards so New Zealand structures are in good shape to withstand future earthquakes.

The project is a collaboration between GNS Science, Victoria University of Wellington, and Stanford University in the United States.

It is the first time the instruments, brought here by Stanford University, have been used in New Zealand.

Found here…

http://www.geonet.org.nz/news/sep-2010-darfield-earthquake/gns-science-response.html

Good old Stanford University!!

Cheers

Graeme

The list of latest quakes ongoing is here - two at 4.5R today, 15 days after the event…

http://www.geonet.org.nz/earthquake/quakes/recent_quakes.html

3 weeks now since all this started in Christchurch. Over the last 12 hours or so we have had 4 quakes all centered in the Christchurch City in the 4.0+ range. So things are still a bit hard on the nerves. 8O
Most of us have had enough of these shakes.
Over 1000 after shocks so far. :o
Cheers

We in the North Island, some 600kms north had a 5.6R earthquake two days ago at 200km deep - hardly felt here but felt down in the South Island near Christchurch scene of the 7.1R earthquake - go figure!!

TK

I think there is a bit of confusion there !! You had a 5.6 at 200 km depth at 7.47pm & we had a 4.4 at 5km depth down here at 7.50pm - some people confused the 2 of them - I think there will be more then several clocks telling the wrong time around here - more things to deal with like repairing homes, or shifting out of uninhabitable buildings !!

:downtown: :downtown:

Yes 4.4R on damaged homes makes them even worse!! I know many people still don’t sleep through the night, adding tiredness and fear to the mix… :frowning:

Graeme

Today at 15.12 a 4.8 mag shake. But only 3 km from our place. About 3 to 4 seconds of vertical movement followed by about 20 seconds of shaking. Quite a strange feeling. Some minor damage in the area and some power cuts in the East Chch area. Well over 2000 after shocks now. 8O

At 12.54 on Tuesday 22 Feb we had another earthquake (6.4 in manitude) in Christchurch. Power has just come on at our place but much of Christchurch is still without power. We only have water since the return of power and it is unsafe to drink. No sewage system and many roads are destroyed.
There is wide spread damage through-out the city with many dead. The quake was only a few miles from the city (8 km away) and only 5 km deep, so caused far more damage than the Sept 4th quake which was about 40 km away.
Ah well!
Cheers
Philip

Glad to hear you are OK. We have a thread going here